recommended front spring compressor ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I have both a center shaft compressor kit I used on my Mustang, which can't be used on the GT6, since the shock lives in there. I used the pair of screws with hooks on the top and bottom type, today, but what i don't like about them is that they can tend to twist around the spring and move kind of suddenly when they do. There is really nothing to keep them from wanting to follow the contour of the spring in a spiral. My Dad sent me a video showing how I SHOULD have been installing the shock and spring as an assembly, but I still would like a better compressor kit.

Anyone have a link to a good set ?

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cmfisher4 Avatar
cmfisher4 Gold Member Chris Fisher
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
John,
I fought the same fight...and ended up building my own. The things are just too small to fit modern spring compressors, let alone the MacPherson strut ones. If you have a welder, or maybe even can bolt an equivalent together, it's definitely the way to go. You can find LOTS of references to it, but here's mine.

HTH and Cheers!

Chris

I learn something new every day...especially if I am working on my LBC!
Please visit my blog and website at http://www.roundtailrestoration.com

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
We have been down this road a time or two - if you dont find a suitable solution here, try a quick search for "Spring Compressor" in the Spitfire forum, all dates. You will find a ton of reading.

That said - with my patented "You will shoot your eye out" warning - here is Grahams solution - http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1305709,1305709#msg-1305709

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
No welding skill here, but my wife got me a dimming helmet for Christmas, so my talk about wanting to learn has taken seed.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505196 by JohnW63 No welding skill here, but my wife got me a dimming helmet for Christmas, so my talk about wanting to learn has taken seed.

Some local community colleges offer non-credit classes for free.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
This is the one I made a couple of years ago. Very similar to one shown above. I used a piece of angle on the bottom so I can clamp it into the vice then use two ratcheting box wrenches to run the nuts up and down at the same time. I have seen some small mods to this style where the builder will run a third rod up from the bottom to try to be an extra safety catch but as long as the shock is inside the coil it, the spring, can't go anywhere.
I too tried the outside claw sort of clamp once and was so nervous about the movement that I built this one instead. I have included the original plans created by another Dan. You can see I did a few slight mods for mine. I can also slide a double ended rod connector down from the top to thread onto the top of the shock to ensure there is a rod extending out the top until the spring is completely loose.
Good luck with it all.
Dan

Attachments:
Spring comp 2.JPG    43.5 KB
Spring comp 2.JPG

Coil Spring Compressor.pdf    254.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rcharris Rod Harris
Fort Collins, CO, USA   USA
And, here is the one I made. I can’t remember where I got the aluminum channels,

I also spent money on a FLAPS compressor, which is back in its box, looking for a new home.

Best of luck, and Happy New Years!
rc

Attachments:
FDFCEFE2-CC15-464C-83D0-12D87FA71F33.jpeg    40.1 KB
FDFCEFE2-CC15-464C-83D0-12D87FA71F33.jpeg

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I used ex "Tools 'n More" spring compressors and can say they're too big.

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
I just found a set up that is much like what was just posted above but firmly attaches to the spring. I’ll post a pic when I bolster the courage to go to my garage.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-MacPherson-Interchangable-Compressor-Extractor/dp/B017H1AWMK/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1514820371&sr=8-25&keywords=spring+compressor+tool

The smallest plates work well enough. I also wrap a compression strap around the assembly to make me feel better. I work on a lot of modern cars, so one tool for them all is beneficial. I also have an OTC Strut Tamer tool that I've used to swap out many Spit springs, but unless you can set it up permanently it's a bit of a PITA to use and not really meant for a home mechanic.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
Here’s the one I’m gonna be trying. Can’t see how it won’t work...but ya never know.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Attachments:
92782B9D-78C0-4E8E-AFB5-EA97EE864345.jpeg    47.1 KB
92782B9D-78C0-4E8E-AFB5-EA97EE864345.jpeg

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1505474 by arturo64 Here’s the one I’m gonna be trying. Can’t see how it won’t work...but ya never know.
Arthur,
Lack of room between the spring and body of the shock may be the problem. That is usually where that type has its downfall.
All the best,
Paul

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Rolled my own a few years back out of some scrap aluminum plate, threaded rods, steel tubing, and a small bottle jack. Works great and is very fast.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Attachments:
Spring Compressor - Triumph Spitfire.jpg    19.4 KB
Spring Compressor - Triumph Spitfire.jpg

JohnW63 John Williamson
I like all of these home built compressors. If I could build them quickly, I might take a run at something like that. I really don't expect to need to use this tool more than twice, to get the two front shocks in, and be done. This assumes my springs are not worn out and let the car wallow around too much. Building one of these would be a great project, if I had to do this more often.

This is the video my Dad sent me, to show the error of my attempt to install things the wrong way.

He seems to use a low tech pair of compressors that have double fingers on one end and a hook at the other. It also seems to have some extra U bolts to help keep things in place, I think.

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
The little u bolt is the only thing that goes between spring and shock so I’m thinking it’ll work. But it will be a long while to finding out as the snow is to high and temp to low for messing around.

But Doug wins....hydraulics....that’s just cheating.

In reply to # 1505480 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1505474 by arturo64 Here’s the one I’m gonna be trying. Can’t see how it won’t work...but ya never know.
Arthur,
Lack of room between the spring and body of the shock may be the problem. That is usually where that type has its downfall.
All the best,
Paul

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links