AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

josh bowman Avatar
Spring City, TN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Spit"
My Spitfire will start quickly after it's initially started for a day or 2. More than that passes and I have to crank and crank before it will hit. The ZS 150 was converted to a manual cold start valve, that is all the auto choke was removed and an older cold start valve installed. Is it possible the carbs bowl is going dry and it's taking a bit of time to refill from the mechanical pump? Also note the fuel line from the mechanical pump has a fuel regulator, it seems my manual pump puts out over 8 psig, so I put a regulator in to lower it to 2-3 psi.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
Sounds like a classic dry bowl. If your manual pump has a priming lever, thats what its for. Give it a few pumps before you try to turn it over. If not - well, thats one reason to get an electric fuel pump. Then you just turn the key for about 10-20 seconds (while the bowl is filling). The CD is not as bad as the SU's for that, you might have a small leak in the bowl. The bottom plug (if equipped) has an o-ring that might need refreshing.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

josh bowman Avatar
Spring City, TN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Spit"
Thanks for the reply, the carb has been rebuilt in the past year, but have always been suspicious of that plug on the bottom. I did not know older Spits have manual priming levers. I'd like not to put an electric on if I could fit a manual priming lever pump in. Has anyone used a 1972 fuel pump on a 1977 Spit?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Josh, just drive it more often.grinning smiley

That's whet I've decided to do, but I need to actually make it 'drivable' first.

Surprised you haven't got more responses. My '72 is the same way, the longer between drives, the longer I have to crank before it starts. But it has the newer style fuel pump too, with the transplanted '75 engine.

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
The upside is oil is stating to circulate while you crank. I now never use the choke on start up at first. I crank until oil pressure and then use it.

Bill

1980 Spitfire

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links