Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
I plan on replacing my dash.... and upgrading my gauges along with it...

I've found (if a bit spendy at $850) a GPS speedo, tach, oil pressure, temp, fuel level from a US manufacturer..... Cool part is, I can have the spitfire or triumph logo added to the face of the gauges.... Woo Woo!!

Question is: (and I have zero knowledge of DC power and British/US conversion issues)..... Am I facing issues with U.S. standards VS British standards when it comes to sending units, etc...??

Thanks in advance....
Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Surely the gauges would come with the appropriate sending unit at that price.
I think if you check with Scardini1 and GT6 ones he installed are what you are talking about.
There was a thread on it a while back.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
American gauges will work on British wiring. Read your literature to see if there is a mention of 10 volts. There may be a need to calibrate the fuel gauge so it reads "E" and "F" properly.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Here is the link to the manufacturer.....

https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/

Fuel gauge is able to be calibrated to full/empty..... possibly relieving me of the problem of adding a new sending unit (at dead on full - my current gauge shows a bit over half full)....

Yes, they are expensive.... but I really like what I see at this point - I can change colors/print font/illumination colors/etc. and add logos to the faceplates ).....(My daughter really likes the idea of a triumph or spitfire logo on each faceplate).... But they don't offer senders for the units...

Second potential issue: I like what they call the GPS speedo.... but don't see a satellite receiver module..... (give me a break - I don't know about such things - but can imagine my speedo not working in the Holland tunnel)...... Do you think it's GPS based - or cell tower based?

Z

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Steven,
As Wayne said, check what scardini1 did before you buy.

Do a forum search on his user name and/or send him a pm.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
I'll do that ---- thanks...

Z

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505089 by TheZster Do you think it's GPS based - or cell tower based?

They're kinda merged now. There's an app that turns your smartphone into a GPS/Traffic Camera and as a bonus will also alert everyone of your Facebook Friends that you are at In & Out Burger.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
LOL.... my daughter's favorite fast food is in n out.... but there isn't one closer than Dallas (we're in St, Louis)..... Can't imagine a 12 hour drive just to pick up lunch,.....

Seriously though.... GPS is satellite based....... Phone location is based on cell phone towers.... My current favorite traffic app is cell phone based... and does a really good job of figuring my speed from moment to moment..... Just wondering what a "GPS speedometer works off of in actuality.....

Z

dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, NY, USA   USA
Here are my "speedhut gauges" The only thing I got working before the deep freeze was the clock and water temperature gauge. Everything seems pretty straight forward, they supply their own wiring harnesses that will control up to eight devices.

Attachments:
IMG_8216.JPG    53.1 KB
IMG_8216.JPG

IMG_8217.JPG    56.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_8218.JPG    55 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Hmmm..... Appears you're doing 60 mph at 1,000 rpm.... must have a serious overdrive on that puppy...

Might be hard to steer with a crescent wrench on that locking nut while taking the pictures... LOL

Just kidding... so I'm guessing there is a bit more to installation than simple "plug and play" so to speak.... (existing wiring/sending units/etc).....

Dash looks good....

Z

dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, NY, USA   USA
The gauge lights are on there own circuit, the heater bezel light switch had to be by-passed and the bezel light goes on full when the driving lights are energized.

You are right about the gauges in the running configuration when the car is turned off, it was a little disconcerting at first. I called the tech people at Speed hut and they said because they are stepper motors they reset when the car is turned back on. I really did not understand his explanation but as long as nothing is wrong I can live with it. I think they look pretty good too. For what they cost they damn well better.

In reply to # 1505159 by TheZster Hmmm..... Appears you're doing 60 mph at 1,000 rpm.... must have a serious overdrive on that puppy...

Might be hard to steer with a crescent wrench on that locking nut while taking the pictures... LOL

Just kidding... so I'm guessing there is a bit more to installation than simple "plug and play" so to speak.... (existing wiring/sending units/etc).....

Dash looks good....

Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 07:40 PM by dvcasano.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links