Secondary front brake backing plate ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I should have taken a picture,today, but I forgot to, while putting away the tools.

I am pretty sure, that when we disassembled the front brakes from the a-arms, ONE side had a second flat plate. Only two holes in it. I think they line up with where the caliper may bolt on. We've looked through all the boxes we got with the car and not found a second one of these. I looked at another GT6 that we have, ( needs a LOT of work ) and could not see it on that 1968 car. It could be there, but covered by the calipers or down near the bottom that we could not see well with a flashlight. Since our project car came all in pieces, I know we will be missing stuff.

Am I right in that it does belong on the front wheel brake area ? Is there any vendor that sells them ? I haven't seen the part in catalogs. The shop manual doesn't show it, but there may be an outline of one being behind other stuff on one diagram.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rustbuckit2011 Frank Zappa
auckland, auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Hi there-
Spifires do indeed have that small almost crescent shaped plate fitted to the same bolts as the calipers- although I am not aware of it being fitted to gt6 style 2 piece uprights. The first thing to do would be to make sure both uprights match- as in- one has not been replaced with a different / spitfire type complete unit over time.

Assuming all is fine, you could search for another plate with the correct holes or just make your own- it would be easy enough considering you already have a template. They were originally fitted to deflect stones getting wedged between the disc/pads/caliper. Canley Classics do sell the plate in Stainless Steel but only for Herald/Spitfire type calipers- hence why you should check those uprights! I, like many others have not had these plates fitted for a number of years with no adverse effects.

For your info to check- remove the split pin/castellated nut and "d" easher- pull the hub off- The stub axle on spitfire uprights have a 25mm diameter at their widest point, a gt6 has a 27mm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 01:44 AM by rustbuckit2011.

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
It's part of the disc shielding system, the idea being to keep small pebbles, stones etc. from damaging the disc. (Maybe even an attempt to keep water spray from getting onto the disc surface.) Remember that back in the day, replacement front discs were expensive, the pads were soft and cheap - so it made sense to protect the discs. It's possible to remove the shields completely on the Spitfire, which may help the discs to run cooler than with the shields, Remember that removing the main shield will require washers of the same thickness to be fitted at two of the attachment points, or the steering arm won't fit correctly, and the steering will be badly out of alignment.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
Rustbucket,

The stub axel is the only part on the suspension, at this point, so measuring will be easy.

Does anyone have a picture of where they go or a diagram ? I think the hole pattern will dictate where it can go. It would be nice to be sure.

This is a pic off this site- it is attached there to the back of the caliper- it only fits one way

Attachments:
images.jpeg    25 KB
images.jpeg

jimgt6 Jim E
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
that is off a 1500 spitfire front brake.
Got this on Canley Classics site.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 06:24 PM by jimgt6.

Attachments:
spitfire1500_plate_1i_02l.jpg    60.8 KB
spitfire1500_plate_1i_02l.jpg

Yes- that is why he has to check his uprights

JohnW63 John Williamson
The stub axles are 27mm.

Well that is good news as at least your brakes are the right size! The caliper bolt spacing should be 3.5 inch - spitfire is 3.25- so spit dust plates wont fit and I am not aware of anyone stamping out new ones for the type 16 calipers you have. Again- just make your own- or do what I would do, and leave them off. Call it adding lightness!

JohnW63 John Williamson
I'll check the bolt spacing too.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph TR250

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links