Bumber over rider questions

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
While waiting for the front and rear bumper parts to come back from getting chromed, we've been looking at what we can get for over riders. We only have one. I'm not sure if it's for the front or rear. It has a thin rubber top part.

I think we would like to be able to use the simple chrome versions, if they will fit our car. The wife did some searching and found some over riders for the GT6 are listed as not available. While ones for Spitfires are available. I'm sort of surprised by this as I thought these cars would share these common parts. So...

What over riders WILL fit our bumpers ? Can we get ones without the rubber section ? Why are some for the GT6 not around ? I think one front side is OK, but the other is not.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
John,
The Mk3 Spitfire shares the front bumper assembly with the GT6+ including the over riders. The all-chrome over riders are for the Mk1&2 Spitfire and there is some difference between them and those for the GT6 (Mk1). The all-chrome ones don't fit the front of the frame of a GT6+, It was changed to raise the bumper.
All the best,
Paul

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
The GT6+ and the late Spitfire Mk3 (1969 and 1970) do share the same bumpers and overriders.

The front overriders are chrome with a thin rubber insert on the front face. Sounds like that's the one you have. If interested, I'll dig some out of the attic and post a photo.

To my knowledge no one reproduces them. Your likely best bet is to find them on eBay or BS&T on this forum.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
The Mk1 GT6 overriders will fit onto a Mk1 and Mk2 Spitfire bumper and I am pretty sure the reverse is also true. But there is a difference in the applications. The GT6 overriders are longer and stick downward more than the Spitfire ones. My Son discovered the difference when he was looking for new ones for his Mk2 Spitfire.

Joe

Attachments:
288400_417928991592007_968161783_o.jpg    38.6 KB
288400_417928991592007_968161783_o.jpg

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1505024 by grubscrew The GT6+ and the late Spitfire Mk3 (1969 and 1970) do share the same bumpers and overriders.

The front overriders are chrome with a thin rubber insert on the front face. Sounds like that's the one you have. If interested, I'll dig some out of the attic and post a photo.

To my knowledge no one reproduces them. Your likely best bet is to find them on eBay or BS&T on this forum.

Dave,
Do you have some information that shows a change in the bumper for 1969 and 1970? The catalogue I have only lists one part for all Mk3 Spitfires and when I check that part at SpitBits and TRF they don't show any alternatives. The main bumper is listed as 811660 and the over riders are 712705 and 712706. Listed at SpitBits as a rechromed bar and new overriders. TRF has the bar and over riders as NLS, but you might check stock on the over riders as they still give a price. These parts are listed for both the Mk3 Spitfire and the GT6+ at both SpitBits and TRF.
All the best,
Paul

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
Paul,
I only named the 69 and 70 because that was all I was sure of without looking it up! I was pretty confident all Spitfire Mk3s were the same but didn't want to overstate if it wasn't true!

As to availability, again I didn't want to overstate since the last time I went looking in catalogues or on-line they were NLA.

Thanks for clarifying. That'll expand the OP's search.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 03:00 PM by grubscrew.

JohnW63 John Williamson
I am surprised that there is a left and right over rider as well as a front and back ones. Since we only have one, I took a couple of shots of it. Can you tell which one I have ? Excuse the dirty condition.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
That's a front, I gotta go to the garage to confirm whether it's left or right!
There are no back over riders for your GT6+.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
if I recall the notches cutout on the sides are different sizes, that will indicate right or left.--which is which I don't know, but I would presume the larger notch is the outside.
I may have one or two less than stellar over-riders, but I can't see them in spares right now. I'll have to dig deeper.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

JohnW63 John Williamson
If there are none on the rear, then I only have to find 1 ! I hope the one we have is the one you can't find.

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
I did some deeper digging today and don't have any. Good luck with the hunt, I'll direct any leads your way.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

JohnW63 John Williamson
It looks like I can buy either one on the front, from Rimmer Bros. I just need to find out which side I need. When we get the bumper back from the shop, it should be obvious.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
In reply to # 1505488 by JohnW63 ... When we get the bumper back from the shop, it should be obvious.

Yep!
I'm surprised to learn the pieces are available. Well done.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
In reply to # 1505491 by grubscrew
In reply to # 1505488 by JohnW63 ... When we get the bumper back from the shop, it should be obvious.

Yep!
I'm surprised to learn the pieces are available. Well done.

The different sized holes are to compensate for the curve of the bumper, so the larger opening will actually be to the "inside" or grille side. Yours pictured has the larger hole on the left (when looking at it from the front, pointy side up) it goes on the driver side.

JohnW63 John Williamson
I was going to hazard a guess that the bumper got wider toward the middle, so it's nice to hear I was correct. I just need a passenger side one, with a pair of ribber covers , so they look the same.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Triumph TR4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links