AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spoon12342002 Avatar
spoon12342002 Eddie S
Milton, VT, USA   USA
1976 Triumph 1500 "Blue Bomber"
Current engine has 65,000 on it. Dont want to just throw in a new cam and have it go bang in 10k

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
Oh my goodness --- Not suggesting a new cam will get you anywhere near your 90hp goal.... You're going to want a full rebuild....lower end and top end.... cam/pistons/crank work, oil system, /intake system/exhaust system..... I always felt that - if you're going to tear apart a part of an engine - why not go ahead and do the whole thing? - a simple cam replacement is hardly a performance modification of any consequence.... and can easily lead to extreme disappointment if the other component parts don't work with the new cam. If finances are the issue - work with inexpensive 'bolt ons" - such as headers, intake manifolds, carburation.... Won't get you where you want to be - but will get you closer.....

The question, in my mind, is why buy a new block when you have a perfectly good one sitting in your garage? If you want a spare - buy a new one..... but I was under the impression that finances might be an issue (as it is with most of us to one degree or another)..

Z

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1504968 by TheZster
The question, in my mind, is why buy a new block when you have a perfectly good one sitting in your garage? If you want a spare - buy a new one..... but I was under the impression that finances might be an issue (as it is with most of us to one degree or another)..

Z

I might guess it could be nice to pick up a spare engine (at a good price) build a good solid short block, work on the head and add the bolt on goodies, All as time and money allows .
While having the car with the old engine on the road and be able to demo and sell the old running engine when the time comes ready to swap in the new one.

People will pay more for a known running engine than one sitting on a garage floor!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
I think I've gotcha.... you want an upgrade - but want to keep your current vehicle driveable until the new one is ready to install..... 2 days vs 2 weeks.....

Nothing wrong with that... gives you a spare of sorts...... Keep in mind - when you decide to install the upgraded one - and try to sell the original one.... running or not - you're going to be facing the same questions we've been asking of the e-bay seller..... Not insurmountable if the price is right... but don't expect to pay for your upgraded engine by selling the original..

Z

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1504979 by TheZster . Keep in mind - when you decide to install the upgraded one - and try to sell the original one.... running or not - you're going to be facing the same questions we've been asking of the e-bay seller..... Not insurmountable if the price is right... but don't expect to pay for your upgraded engine by selling the original..

Z

Ah, but the old engine will likely be running, even test driven. The ebay engine is just words.

racer490 Jerry Bryant
Palm Harbor, USA   USA
Another item in your performance engine would be a distributor. I don't think an original 1500 distributor would give you the curve you need to get maximum performance. I don't know if there are drop in solutions. There is the 123 distributor and mega jolt but I'm not very familiar with either.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links