AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Coolant Line Sizes
  This topic is about my 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500
GriffinNC Dennis D
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
I'm working on replacing all the coolants lines and could use a sanity check on the dimensions before I run to the FLAPS to find some.

Heater lines - I'm looking at 1/2' in most locations.
Manifold lines - It seems closer to 5/8" running from the thermostat housing to the manifold and then out the manifold to the t-pipe looks like it's 5/8" on one end and 1/2" on the other. Am I wrong?
Water Choke - The line around the water choke seem a bit smaller. 3/8" or 7/16" maybe. Thoughts on this size.

I know I tried to put a 15/32 spare hose on the thermostat housing and wouldn't fit with no amount of persuasion....

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
That 5/8 to 1/2 transition hose can be stretched with old school battery post pliers.

GriffinNC Dennis D
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
Do those seem to be the right sizes? They are so old and stretched it’s hard to really judge them anymore.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Keep in mind that typical "basic" heater hose might kink if the bends are too sharp, as opposed to a preformed hose that would hold shape.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
An old trick is to use springs (like screen door spring) inside the hose to prevent the walls from collapsing.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links