Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
Just got a 78 spit for my daughter and am having a ball with identifying/finding/buying parts. Before we are done - we will have a full renovation.... I owned a 80 spit in 80 - but can't remember many of the details from back then. (They say memory is the first thing to go as you get older - and I can't remember the second thing)...

While the interior door skins look good at first glance - I see issues that I'm not thrilled with.... additionally, the driver's window has lots of slop (back and forth). The car is missing the glass wipers on that door - and the passenger door could use replacements also - both on order.... I'm not ready to dig into the door frame to check out the window mechanism yet - until I'm ready to replace the door skins at the same time. Hoping wipers will help - but anticipate some slop in the window mechanism itself.... So.... I want to be ready to re-cover the interior properly once I remove what's there (I also have to replace the door limiting strap at that time (also on order)...

I find "door top caps" listed as replacement parts.... yet my vehicle doesn't appear to have a separate top cap from the door skin...... On the other hand, it also appears the PO did some creative caulking between the skin and what I think would be the top cap.... photos attached.... I'm guessing the top cap and the skin are two separate parts - with one overlapping the other.... am I right? Don't want to be buying parts I don't need.... but don't want to skip a step either.....

Clear as mud??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-27 04:08 PM by TheZster.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0278.JPG    20.6 KB
IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG    39 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0277.JPG    40.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ras111 Avatar
ras111 Gold Member Richard Singerman
Dollard des Ormeaux, QC, Canada   CAN
The door 'cards' are different from the caps. I recently replaced the caps on my car - just peel the old ones off and glue on the new ones. The door cards are held in place with a series of clips that go around the entire panel. If your existing panel is in bad shape, some of the clips may stay in the door as you pull the card off the door. Just remember to pull them out and put them on the new replacement card.

ras111 Avatar
ras111 Gold Member Richard Singerman
Dollard des Ormeaux, QC, Canada   CAN
I looked again at your images - looks like either tape or black caulking was applied to the seam where the capping meets the door cards. They are separate parts!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Steve, be very careful and use some heat to take those top caps off. You will be surprise with some heat and time you will be able to save those.
If color is faded, you can cover with a vinyl paint .

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Thanks for the advice..... So, the caps are nothing more than glued on vinyl??? Much like the trim around the rear behind the seats..... I can order two caps (pre-cut) for about $50..... rear trim kit for another $169..... Or just buy a couple of yards of matching vinyl for $60 and cut my own to size......

I'll mull it over.... cause I would like to add some minor padding under the caps..... bet I can figure out something nicer than "factory"...

Thanks again..

Z

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Too bad you were not closer, I could have given you a couple of complete doors for little money. Those later doors are heavy, shipping would be unreal.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

otty Avatar
otty Silver Member Rick Ottenstein
SYKESVILLE, MD, USA   USA
When I replaced my door caps, I bought the preshaped vinyl pieces from Victoria British on sale. Because so many people have had problems with them wrinkling when glued on, I decided to spray glue them onto a thin piece of flexible styrofoam shipping padding. This worked great. I then spray glued them on the door and they came out really nice. They also have a little cushion from the styrofoam so they feel nice as well. When I indicate styrofoam I actually mean those thin sheets that are dense, but flexible and have some give.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
sounds like a good idea.... thx...

Z

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Steven, the material too use there is the headliner foam. If you can go to a upholster and get some scraps, I bet that would be enough for those section. Form the vinyl cover first then put this inside , trim, glue and then glue to door. Just a little time.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
My initial thought was headliner foam..... but getting vinyl to attach to that would seem to be problematic..... I guess I need to remove the existing caps and see what type of base I've got - before I decide.......

On the other hand, I could simply take "rattles" (what I named her until my daughter comes up with a better one)... to my upholstery shop and give him carte blanche.....

I love DYI... but some things are better left to the professionals. You want a house built - call me... You want upholstery done - call a guy with those skills.....

Z

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links