Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Just received my Euro exhaust manifold back from Jet-Hot. It looks real shiny, both inside and out. They maintained great communication and a fast turnaround. Guess I'll be working on the Spit this weekend if the weather warms up. Been too cold here in Colorado Springs to do anything out in the un-heated garage.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Jet-Hot Spitfire exhaust manifold.jpg    53.8 KB
Jet-Hot Spitfire exhaust manifold.jpg

Pats54 Avatar
Pats54 Gold Member Mark M
Maynard, Mass, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500
2012 Volvo C70 "The Weekender"
Looks good Doug, stay warm.
Lots of guys would have went with a header rather than getting it coated me being one of them.
I hope the coating holds up for you.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504651 by Pats54 Looks good Doug, stay warm.
Lots of guys would have went with a header rather than getting it coated me being one of them.

The factory 1500 iron manifold & downpipe implements a 4-2-1 header configuration.
Although 2&3 share a common passage to the 'collector', the 1-3-4-2 firing order ensures
that the gas pulses do not interfere with each other.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, IL, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
looks really nice - stay warm

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Hi Ralph,
Thanks. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have had the downpipe coated as well so that the two match? Today the weather gods (and goddesses -- gotta be careful these days) are smiling. Managed to get the old Weber manifold off and now am pondering how to do the re-plumbing of the coolant since I am going to eliminate the hot water loop when I install the SU HS4s.
Doug

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
In reply to # 1504651 by Pats54 Looks good Doug, stay warm.

Hi Mark,
Thanks. The Euro exhaust manifold is actually quite efficient. I did the ceramic coating primarily for the thermal quality the ceramic adds to the manifold. Supposedly, it retains the heat inside the manifold better, which improves the flow of exhaust gasses and also should keep my under-bonnet temperatures lower.
Doug

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1504761 by Fictioneer Hi Ralph,
Thanks. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have had the downpipe coated as well so that the two match? Today the weather gods (and goddesses -- gotta be careful these days) are smiling. Managed to get the old Weber manifold off and now am pondering how to do the re-plumbing of the coolant since I am going to eliminate the hot water loop when I install the SU HS4s.
Doug

To what purpose?

Triumph was never known for frivolously spending money on the hardware.
That they chose to spend engineering time and money to route coolant through the intake manifold speaks volumes to me.
Especially (as was just pointed out to me on this forum) when the Mk I Spitfire HAD NO SUCH PROVISION.
Apparently the lack of same was enough of an issue that it was fitted to every Spitfire since the Mk I.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I can only guess that the coolant pipe in the HS4 manifold has rusted.

When I had this problem, I drilled the holes and pressed in some Pex (plumbing) pipe fittings with some JB Weld.
One side was fitted with a turn off valve, in case felt the need to cut off coolant flow.

It has worked well for 25 years now.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
In reply to # 1504818 by clshore
In reply to # 1504761 by Fictioneer Hi Ralph,
Doug

To what purpose?

Triumph was never known for frivolously spending money on the hardware.
That they chose to spend engineering time and money to route coolant through the intake manifold speaks volumes to me.
Especially (as was just pointed out to me on this forum) when the Mk I Spitfire HAD NO SUCH PROVISION.
Apparently the lack of same was enough of an issue that it was fitted to every Spitfire since the Mk I.

My MGBs never had it. My TR4s never had it. My Austin Healey didn't have it. My MGTC didn't have it. Why now is the extra plumbing suddenly so necessary?

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
In reply to # 1504825 by Tonyfixit I can only guess that the coolant pipe in the HS4 manifold has rusted.

When I had this problem, I drilled the holes and pressed in some Pex (plumbing) pipe fittings with some JB Weld.
One side was fitted with a turn off valve, in case felt the need to cut off coolant flow.

It has worked well for 25 years now.

Yes indeed it had, Tony. I cut the ragged edges off and filed them smooth. I really don't see the point for the whole assembly, however, I am not closed-minded and would entertain a good engineering explanation of the benifits for retaining the design.
Doug

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Do you mean 'why heat the inlet manifold'?

Basically to help prevent droplets of gasoline gathering on the inside surface. If this were allowed to happen the dropplets would group, and be drawn as a large droplet into the cyl.
Such a large droplet would not fully burn and end up on the cyl wall only to wash and dilute the oil.

Better to evaporate the gas and loose a little VE.

clshore Carter Shore
Carburetor icing can occur even when the ambient temperature is well above freezing (60-70 F)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_icing

It's even worse on side draft carbs.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Triumph TR4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links