TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

1970 Triumph Spitfire needs to be fixed?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JoshCastillo Avatar
JoshCastillo Cherry Lee
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Hey guys, I have a 1970 Triumph Spitfire convertible that has been sitting outside for about 2 years, and about 15 before that. I love this car and cant wait for it to be fixed. But there's the problem. My father has been procrastinating fixing it and he says things keep going wrong. BUT his girlfriend said he told her he just doesn't want me driving it and getting killed. This car has been to New York and back (I live in OK) so I know it can drive. I am a very good driver 0f almost 3 years, no accidents or tickets but I AM 18. My mom isn't worried about me driving it at all, and I live with her.

Anywho. I want this baby fixed (the engine is fine, but rats keep eating the wires, the steering column needs to be fixed, and my dad took out the seats and the dashboard stuff). I have expressed this desire to my grandma (my dad's mom) and she said she'll talk to her car guy, but I know that could be awhile Does anyone know a british car repair place in Oklahoma that I could pay to fix my car? I want EVERYTHING fixed on it. I really need it, especially now that Im in college and live 100miles away from my house and I don't have a car. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Maxpeedingrods Dealer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Josh,
Cars we can fix, family relationships we don't go near.

Good luck, though.
John

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Josh, unless money is no object, this is not the time for you and this car.

It's not that it can't be fixed, but not a overnight thing, even for the best of us. Your best bet, get it in the dry so it doesn't get mush worse.
There are lots of running Spitfires around and much cheaper than restoring a gutted car. Even if the body was perfect, a car that has been setting for 15 years could need every moving part replaced.

Good luck on your future and we can always fix this car later. You would enjoy the trip.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ExPatBrit Avatar
ExPatBrit Mike W
Redmond, WA, USA   USA
Buy a good reliable used car for college,maybe a Honda Civic with a stick.

Save the Spitfire as a project for after you graduate, a car that has not been driven for that amount of time is going to need serious $$$$ in time and repairs especially if you pay someone else to do the work.

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
I have a '70 - and my 15 year old son and I did the restoration. it had been sitting a long time as well. We dropped about $7500 in parts and about 2000 hours into getting it in shape to be a "daily driver". Even still, I tinker with it, as things pop up. These cars are a great deal of fun, and easy to work on- but a modern car, with their near maintenance free setup it is NOT. You could learn how to work on it WITH your dad - but this is the wrong car for someone needing to hire out (or have some else) do the work. They are just not cost effective that way.

As far as safety, its not YOU your parents are worried about. The Spit needs to be driven like a motorcycle- assume if someone could hit you, pull out in front of you, change lanes into you, they WILL. Not that they mean to, they just don't see use easily, and they are often distracted. Modern SUV's are much taller than cars in the '70s as well.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
Whats the deal , NY , OK and Las Vegas ? You are a dealer for car parts / springs ? You have a male and female name ?

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504541 by JoshCastillo rats keep eating the wires, the steering column needs to be fixed, and my dad took out the seats and the dashboard stuff).

Sounds like the first thing you need is a new wiring harness. Since you are new to this I would stick with a stock harness so the manual matches.

BTW: Get the manual.

Edited to add: Get a cat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-28 09:54 AM by Doug in Vegas.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I don't think the car will be going anywhere soon.

But it soulds like a fun project for someone to restore.

Our cars are very user friendly for those that have the time (and inclination ) to work on themselves, but to send it out for someone to 'Fix' would be a real money-pit!

Make an effort to protect and preseve the car, learn about it, show an interest in working on it, and I am sure the car will become yours.

But understand Spitfires ARE NOT TOYOTA's you do not just get in it and drive it anywhere (and expect to get there) Which is one very good reason that learning and working on the car yourself is important to enjoying the car.
In 40+ years of owning Triumphs I have never been stranded on the side of the road. BUT I have had to fix the car on the road many, many times (usually just little things) It's just the nature and era of the car.

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
Lizard the detective.

In reply to # 1504590 by Lizzard Whats the deal , NY , OK and Las Vegas ? You are a dealer for car parts / springs ? You have a male and female name ?

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
We have people everywhere.

All kinds.

In reply to # 1504715 by arturo64 Lizard the detective.

In reply to # 1504590 by Lizzard Whats the deal , NY , OK and Las Vegas ? You are a dealer for car parts / springs ? You have a male and female name ?

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
rod dealer, trolling?

70spit Jon B
Camas, WA, USA   USA
He's right though. This is the same person with the commercial spam in the for sale forum, selling parts out of China.

Skilled troll, getting everyone to respond like that (feeding on the helpful nature of this forum). But their goal sure isn't clear...

In reply to # 1504715 by arturo64 Lizard the detective.

JoshCastillo Avatar
JoshCastillo Cherry Lee
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
yeah, I am a auto parts dealer, but I will not sale parts here, if you want to buy any parts you could contact me on my FB .

Maxpeedingrods Dealer

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster