TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Knock off Dunlop Wire Spoke rims - best tool for tightening?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Silver Bullet"
Hi All,

I bought chrome wire-spoke rims for the Silver Bullet and am getting the tires put on right now. I've looked at the tools used to tighten down the center locking nut (I have the 2-prong) and see a few out there.

Does anyone have a tool that they can recommend?

Also, I see that the spokes themselves need to be tightened at times,... does anyone know of the best tool to use for that as well?

Thanks guys!

Matt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
File Dec 26, 12 44 44 PM.jpeg    24.2 KB
File Dec 26, 12 44 44 PM.jpeg

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In addition to Lizzards comments, the source of the wheels should also have the tools needed to check the spokes. My original 69 came with wires and the small wrenches were included in the tool bag with the hard lead hammer. I had the wheels checked before I sold it with about 30k miles on it and none of the spokes needed adjusting. It had the large hex single nut with a wrench for those so the hammer didn't make a big deal with them.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Matt,
I bought a Thor brand lead hammer to tighten the knock-off nuts for my wire wheels. Eventually the head mushroomed so badly I decided it had to be fixed. I cut it off the handle and re-cast it with copper bands near each end to restrain the mushrooming.
All the best,
Paul

bonnett1954 Avatar
bonnett1954 Silver Member Dave Bonnett
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Union Jack"
A 4 pound dead blow hammer with a plastic head will do the job. Moss motors has a tool for the spokes ,https://mossmotors.com/spoke-wrench-wire-wheel

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
Trueing the wires is a whole lot more complicated than just turning them. They are just 1/4", so a couple of wrenches will work. Get one "normal", and one with more of an angle ideally. But really, you just have to be able to turn the hub one flat, then you get a new bite. TRF sells the proper tool - mine has been back ordered for about 15 years now. Probably will just show up one day! Anyway, I can walk you through trueing them up, when you get to that point. I use a dial micrometer - and strongly suggest you pick one up. I use the magnetic base, and stick it to a very heavy floor jack. Its a good set-up, and has trued my TR3 wheels for a long time. So much so, I stopped putting the painted 60's on, and just run the chrome 48's - and true as needed (which is not very often, even though I drive VERY spiritedly on them).

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Thanks so much guys!

Lizzard - I'm going to get the Wooden Wheel Spinner Removal tool and go that route. I like it, and thank you.

Dan, Paul and Dave - thank you for the info on the hammer. I'm looking into that now.

Matthew - would LOVE your help in truing up the wires. I am getting the adapters and wheels on tomorrow, although I won't have the aforementioned wooden wheel spinner removal tool till Friday.

2 things:

1. Did I read your statement right, in that if I own a 1/4" wrench, then I am ok? (Do I need more than one 1/4" wrench?)
2. Is there a brand/style of dial micrometer which you would recommend? I like your approach of precision,..and am inclined to follow your advice.

Thanks guys!

Matt

Attachments:
File Dec 26, 10 13 02 PM.jpeg    37.3 KB
File Dec 26, 10 13 02 PM.jpeg

joesbox Avatar
joesbox Joe Mann
Oakham, Rutland, UK   GBR
I had wires for years. Never used the wooden adaptor but a Thor rawhide hammer. Seemed to do the trick.

Joe

www.joeblogs.eu

Attachments:
61FiC0nwbaL._SL1218_.jpg    17.1 KB
61FiC0nwbaL._SL1218_.jpg

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
Yup, (1) combination 1/4 wrench will probably work just fine, depending on the offset. As little as you will use it, and gives its not machine work (extreme presion is not critical), I would say an Harbor Freight dial Micrometer will be more than adequate.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
I suggest doing a ten speed wheel first before you touch a car wheel . Learn how to lace and tension / true a ten speed wheel and then use that knowledge to work on car wheels .

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I will also suggest that if the wheels are not straight when you get them, send them back quickly. They should come to you very true and balanced. You will have to adjust balance for the tires but not the wheels.
If you get good straight/true wheels you should not have to worry about them for years - unless you gain a habit of whacking curbs with them.
Dan

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Thanks everyone for all the help. I got the Wooden Removal Tool (thanks Lizzard) and it works GREAT. See picture,..am almost there!

Attachments:
wire wheels on.jpeg    49.5 KB
wire wheels on.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster