Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1504686 by JohnW63 Ah...a bit of a thread veer. Does anyone know what color is on that TR250 I posted a picture of ?

John,
I don't know, but I think it is Sapphire blue. I think Royal blue is darker.
All the best,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Notti Avatar
Notti Eric N
San Dimas, CA, USA   USA
I think it's funny that an owner of a GT6, a very unique car design, is concerned the color won't make it stand out. Nobody in just about any parking lot you go to will have a GT6, so it could be primer grey and stand out.

Pick a color you love and not something no one else is driving or you may end up being asked if you sell Mary K cosmetics.

I've always felt Damson Red was the best color for the GT6.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Yes, a GT6 is going to stand out, but, my wife is picking the color. It's her car. I like Damson Red, and I think Royal blue would be good too. However, she's writing the checks, so she gets to pick. It's not often you get so much choice in a car color. Take what the dealer offers is normally it. It's a clean slate. What ever color she picks with cost thousands of dollars with body work. I can understand her desire to be sure of her choice.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
When you are ready to shoot the paint, take her by the hand (lovingly) and lead her to the paint store of your choice. (taking the car along is great if possible) Stand outside in the warm sunlight and let her choose. Sunlight is important, plenty of time is important and lots of choices is important. The mind boggling number of choices will blow her mind, so she will say "Oh heck lets just paint it red." (Don't even ask which red) and the issue will be settled. If you try to get her to decide now and not change her mind you will end up either divorced or murdered, neither of which is a pretty color!

JohnW63 John Williamson
Ah, but you don't know MY wife ! smiling smiley

At this point, this is the winning blue:

I've got a fast , but not so true color rendering, monitor on my computer, so many colors are a bit washed out. I'm trying to see if the above differs much from either Triumph color. To my eye , Royal blue is a bit darker, and being from the 60s -70s, more of a flat color.

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
a couple of years ago someone here posted a pic of a light blue car. I thought it showed off the body lines the best of any color I've seen. It was very light blue and a metallic, but I don't remember who and haven't been able to find it again.

If I ever re-paint my 66, it'll be something similar to that light blue, or the original black.

SpitfireJim Avatar
SpitfireJim Jim F
Telford, PA, USA   USA
Royal blue has no metallic, so it will not look like a new Porsche. I personally prefer non metallic colors on my classic brits...just something not quite right about it. Not ‘period correct’

The base/clear I believe adds a level of shine much less achievable with classic single stage paints but I am not an expert. My B was painted single stage in the early 90’s (red) and I plan to tackle the finish in the spring and see what I can do

If you need any closer/better pics of my spitfire let me know. It’s parked for the winter in a remote location but I plan to stop and check on it next week

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
It's catching some odd reflections, but I would say that TR250 is Royal Blue.

Separately, another color I like a lot is Valencia.

-

"Given enough time, an amateur can build anything.”

- Bob Hicks (as quoted in the 1997 "Mariner’s Book Of Days"winking smiley

JohnW63 John Williamson
I rather like the color on that TR250. Nice high gloss with reflections. Not a color you see in every parking lot.

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
I like the darker colors on the Gt6. If I had a mk3 Damson would be my color.
I was turn between dark green, royal blue or a metallic version of it, and dark grey. Settled for BMW space grey. Was going to be Aston Martin tungsten silver, but but due to paint costs I settled on BMW as the Aston color was offered only in an expensive line. ( Could be different now)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

JohnW63 John Williamson
We were wondering if the color was for a Porsche if the cost would be higher. Seems stupid that they charge more just because of the brand of car it could get sprayed on.

Doubledroptop Avatar
Doubledroptop David Freet
Chandler, AZ, USA   USA
1971 Triumph TR6 "White Ghost"
A few things to keep in mind when picking a color from another car. There are a lot of things that will affect the final color. The base coat color, any sealer, air pressure and air temp as well as distance from the vehicle all affect the final shade. Keep in mind that most of your newer cars as well as your foreign cars use multi coat style of paints to get the finish shade. That is one reason the higher end cars charge so much more for their paint repair jobs.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505083 by JohnW63 We were wondering if the color was for a Porsche if the cost would be higher. Seems stupid that they charge more just because of the brand of car it could get sprayed on.

Brand of car, no, but some of the more expensive cars do use intercoats of pearls so it is possible to end up with 4 cans of paint/clear to do one job.

ANDYGT6 Avatar
ANDYGT6 Andy K
SF East Bay, CA, USA   USA
Love the Pimento color of my GT6. An original color for the car in 72...more red than orange but still with a strong orange influence. You’ll see it on other Triumphs of that year, but you won’t see it on other cars and always seems to catch the eye from others when I’m out on the road. Paint color is actually one of the more common questions I get at car shows. My opinion is bright colors accentuate the body lines on these cars where darker tends to mute that. Happy color picking!

Dale M. Avatar
Tell City, IN, USA   USA
Here’s another one for you to think about. I love the color combination.

Attachments:
6A668444-806A-40B5-A630-04B68AE3F3FF.jpg    29.2 KB
6A668444-806A-40B5-A630-04B68AE3F3FF.jpg

FE252331-1F03-4B5D-A862-6EFA94B58BA1.jpg    29.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph GT6 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links