Color choice -- we keep changing our mind

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
The time for choosing a paint color is quite a ways ahead, but my wife has gone through a few colors in the last 2 weeks. The goal is to have a color that is not that common so the car stands out. Every time we think we have one, we then see ALL the cars that are that color ! Deep grey, like gun metal...Grey has to be the most popular color out there, these days ! A deep red with almost a maroon.. GM and Chrysler have that in use a lot. A pearl white, that turned out common and expensive paint type. She can't find a green in production she likes. She's now thinking of a deep blue with a white stripe, starting on the bonnet hump. We haven't seen that many deep blues out there, but let's see what our eyes find.

If you know of some cool colors that a GT6 would look good wearing, and have a link to show it, please let me know.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
Just saying....My son saw an MG-TD painted colors very similar to this, at a British car show we went to, kicking off our Father-Son project (we left from the show to start the 8 hour trek to get the Spit). A year later, the car was done, so we put it in the same show. The owner of the TD was there, and had to come say hi. We told him it was his car that inspired the colors. He said he didn't make up the combo, he saw it on a Morgan, in New York State, about 15 years ago. About that time an even older gentleman strolls up and says, "I thought my Morgan was unique, but this is the second car painted my colors I have seen today!" - true story! Here is the color scheme on our car, and the MG. One thing I will say about the pearl - the color changes A LOT with lighting. These shots are my attempt to show that....

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Attachments:
The sun.jpg    57.6 KB
The sun.jpg

Tail.jpg    44.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
11287185_865880740173041_880597635_n.jpg    93.5 KB
Tag.jpg    62 KB
Croped side.jpg    43.1 KB
blue 1.jpg    51.8 KB
JohnW63 John Williamson
What blue is that ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Gt6’s look sharp in the silver to gunmetal metallic grey colors. I prefer the darker as the chrome contrasts. Light (cactus green) looks great as well. Good luck, I had my gt6 narrowed down to green, dark blue, Samson maroon, and maybe possibly black.... to make a statement. I’ve already got 2 green triumphs and a green Camry, the damson maroon is the original color on my uncles 70, and there was at least 2 dark blue cars in the area already. So after talking with the painter, he said it was a good car and the minor rust repair needed allowed me to spend the money and paint it black. Kyle.

JohnW63 John Williamson
We'd like to skip black, only because we live in a desert and the dirt is light colored. Lots of car washing. It would also get rather HOT, inside the car !

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
I've struggled with the same question myself over the last several years; I think I've finally resolved to decide on a color choice that I like and to heck with what others believe about how common or boring it is or not!

On the other hand, If you really must have a color that is not very common, then I might suggest Sienna Brown; though a few here will quickly argue that there is a reason why that color is not common. All I can say is that nine out of ten girls I show that color to say: "Noooooooooooo!"

I really do like the silver on blue combination, but I've decided on a tan interior (otherwise the '70 just had too much black for my liking), and, in the Triumph world, a tan interior seems to be a faux pas with a blue car. Then again, in a few years I may just decide this is the USA, and I can combine any interior color with any exterior color that I want, and to heck with what the rest of the community thinks about it!

-

"Given enough time, an amateur can build anything.”

- Bob Hicks (as quoted in the 1997 "Mariner’s Book Of Days"winking smiley

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1504273 by Spitnut64
I really do like the silver on blue combination, but I've decided on a tan interior (otherwise the '70 just had too much black for my liking), and, in the Triumph world, a tan interior seems to be a faux pas with a blue car. Then again, in a few years I may just decide this is the USA, and I can combine any interior color with any exterior color that I want, and to heck with what the rest of the community thinks about it!

John,
I guess you live far enough away that painting my car blue again and changing the interior to tan won't make it too common for you.winking smiley
After thirty+ years it is time to move away from the black interior.
All the best,
Paul

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
The colors are PPG - JBC 19465 (the blue) and JBC 5464 (the silver). I added 1 shot glass of the blue to a quart of the silver to get it to blend.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Doubledroptop Avatar
Doubledroptop David Freet
Chandler, AZ, USA   USA
1971 Triumph TR6 "White Ghost"
What ever color you pick, once done you will see a lot of it. LOL

JohnW63 John Williamson
In reply to a post by What ever color you pick, once done you will see a lot of it. LOL

That's already happening ! As soon as she says, " Yep. That's the color I want. " I look it up online to see what it is called, we start seeing THAT color in all the parking lots.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
It's hard for me to picture owning a GT-6 or Spitfire in any color but bright red. The hotrod truck I'm building was originally going to also be bright red, but after seeing another example, I ran screaming in horror from red. (looked too much like a fire truck) I have now chosen Synergy Green for my truck, but one never knows until the paint is sprayed.smoking smiley
My opinion on the blue/silver is that the blue is a tad to dark, but hard to tell in a picture on a computer. (Ford is putting some really nice dark blues on their products lately)
My Spit originally was brown (repainted bright red by PO) and I probably wouldn't have noticed it sitting beside the road for sale if it had been brown. (I may not have noticed it had it been sitting IN the road for sale)spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

70spit Jon B
Camas, WA, USA   USA
The most unique colors are things like orange or purple then maybe yellow. I think the GT6 looks good in orange or yellow (a darker yellow, like Triumph's own saffron). A quick google search for "orange gt6" brings up a bunch of examples. No color is truly unique though.

I ended up going with signal red simply because that was the original color of the car and I want it to be noticeable to all those wheeled battleships on the roads.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
What's the color code on the commission plate? It might be just what you're looking for.

'S all for now
Vic

SpitfireJim Avatar
SpitfireJim Jim F
Telford, PA, USA   USA
Partial to dark blue...

Attachments:
32134592-CA52-4691-AF60-73D8C60D2604.jpeg    89.9 KB
32134592-CA52-4691-AF60-73D8C60D2604.jpeg

Smithisretired Avatar
Smithisretired Michael Smith
Wells, ME, USA   USA
Giallo Modena FER 102, otherwise known as Ferrari Light Yellow (FLY Yellow) looks good on almost anything.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links