Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Growe58 Avatar
Growe58 Greg Rowe
Hatfield, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504232 by N5329K Were some 78's built with the all-black dash? My 78 wasn't.
Robin

No, that black dash on a 78 would have to be the work of a PO. Wood dashes from 73 through the end of the run in 1980.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
That's interesting...... I was under the impression a number of spits had black dashboards - but never paid attention to what years were involved..... The PO did some interior work around the dash - including installing a radio that doesn't fit (sticks out about a half inch)..... with blue tooth, old style pushbuttons, and a monster speaker box behind the seats.... We're planning on scrapping that crap once we start on cosmetics..... I don't mind things not being original - but they have to "fit like original".....

Twin Lakes, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504231 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1504162 by James F "EJECTOR SEAT" (a homage to the James Bond Austin Healey, but which actually operates the redesigned map light).
James,
Aston Martin please not Austin Healey.
You could have had the "OIL SLICK" and "SMOKE SCREEN" switches too. After all they might be appropriate. "MACHINE GUNS," "TIRE CUTTERS," and "BULLET PROOF SHIELD" are less likely to be so.
All the best,
Paul

Aston Martin DB5... I knew that of course. I can easily blame age and maybe beer. Or, maybe anything other than a Triumph is too pricey and therefore becomes the same to me. I debated the little red button inside the gear knob!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
I like it, James. Always felt that was the proper location for the small gauges.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
It's snowing today and we took the spit out for her first runs in St. Louis..... The heater fan and/or controls aren't working properly and it got a tad chilly - not to mention the windshield icing over while driving.... I'll have to agree with you on the necessity of a heater..... Dual purpose gauges sound good......

The current radio, installed by the PO.... sticks out from the framework about a half inch or so...... not having time yet to investigate - do you know if the current "standard depth" of radio units is to big for the factory space? - or did the PO just get lazy? I just about change the channel every time I shift into third with enthusiasm....

MoneyPitSpit Avatar
MoneyPitSpit Ron (Smokey) Wasmuth
Beautiful, Sparkling, Lakeland, FL, USA   USA
1974 Triumph Spitfire "Midnight Blue"
1995 Chevrolet Camaro "Crystal Blue Persuasion"
I like my extra gauges.

Attachments:
New dashboard 1.JPG    45.7 KB
New dashboard 1.JPG

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
The black dash started in 1970, with the last year of the Mk3. It was the same dash as the '69, but overlaid with black vinyl instead of veneer. Then the first 2 years ('71 and '72) of the MkIV had the same dash layout (with the hot and cold swapping ends), but in black plastic. Some '73s had the black, while most got the wood.

Given the above info, dont worry about originality in you '78 - thats ship has already sailed! THAT being said - here is a shot of my "blacked out" '70. Notice, you can simply rotate the headlight switch, and easily fit 3 gauges along the bottom.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Attachments:
100_3040.JPG    41 KB
100_3040.JPG

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504225 by TheZster ... and I'm with you as far as "purists" are concerned....

Yes, the SOBs.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

jimgt6 Jim E
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
This is a GT6, but here is how I added additional gauges. Also second photo shows how I added 3 mm jack and 12 volt receptacle. This updated photo today(12-26-2017)

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-26 10:28 AM by jimgt6.

Attachments:
IMG_2114.JPG    37.3 KB
IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG    41.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Jim, that looks fine and you got them where you need them.
It's a lot of work but well worth it.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I'm relocating the heater controls. (I may even go servo). I was considering removing the brackets on the fascia too. At one point I considered welding in a new fascia that incorporates a one piece beam for the steering wheel mount and has an instrument layout more like the MK I with a glovebox.

The next guy will need to refer to my notes in the manual. winking smiley

Randy z Avatar
Randy z Randy Ziegler
Shoreline, WA, USA   USA
Beautiful dash ! I absolutely love it. My dash will not be original either but will try to keep the old look.
I all ready have toggle switches and have omitted the heater like you.
What an original idea to put the spitfire emblem, and place it on the dash.
I would like permission to kind of copy your idea.

Randy
1970 spit frame off conversion

dke49 Dave Kennedy
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia   AUS
Congrats. Looks fantastic. I re purposed my ashtray and put two power outlets in. Can now run the GPS and charge the phone. When not using, just flip the lid down and no one knows any better.

In reply to # 1504325 by Randy z Beautiful dash ! I absolutely love it. My dash will not be original either but will try to keep the old look.
I all ready have toggle switches and have omitted the heater like you.
What an original idea to put the spitfire emblem, and place it on the dash.
I would like permission to kind of copy your idea.

Randy
1970 spit frame off conversion

Thanks for the positive comments, Randy!

I'm happy to share the ideas for everyone. Please feel free to use any of them.

Merry Christmas!

In reply to # 1504338 by dke49 Congrats. Looks fantastic. I re purposed my ashtray and put two power outlets in. Can now run the GPS and charge the phone. When not using, just flip the lid down and no one knows any better.

That's a great idea - I wish I thought of that one! I wonder who thought it was a convenient place for an ashtray in the first place - so strange.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links