Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
I never liked the gasket under the handle for the GT6 rear hatch. The ones available are a flat piece of rubber that has a tendency to squish out. So this is another item on my bucket list to improve on and 3D print. Came out good, I created a slight pocket for the escutcheon piece to set into and seal against.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
GT6 rear handle gasket-3.JPG    14.4 KB
GT6 rear handle gasket-3.JPG

GT6 rear handle gasket-1.JPG    27.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mr2magoo Raymond Brown
Cobourg, ON, Canada   CAN
would it be possible to do something for the gt6 mk3 door handle ,same scenario ,it squeezes out ,i've tried replacing them twice with the same results

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Brain, another great improvement.

Couple of questions, do yuou have to use a CAD program to enter the process?
Where did you get it and what brand?
I see one in Walmart that is reasonable.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Ray, yes it would be possible. Interestingly my next project is doing the door handle gaskets for my GT6 that is a round tail. The one under the push button is always half way out and leaves a nice opening for weather to get inside the door. I don't have access to the MK111 door handle. But if someone had one then they could take the dimensions from that handle to make the CAD drawing.

Wayne, you need a 3D CAD program that can convert a part file to a STL. file. I use a CAD program (Autodesk Inventor) that I had before I retired, Very expensive program and way overkill for these parts but you don't need that. There are some nice basic 3D CAD programs out that would work fine. Just make sure it can convert to the STL. file type. Many of the 3D printers can handle a few other types of files also. The STL. is probably the most common.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Thanks Brain, that is food for thought.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, VA, USA   USA
Nice looking gaskets Brian. Will you be putting out a catalog soon? grinning smiley

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
That's funny George, right now it seems like it. I design the parts, run them on the 3D printer and test them on my TR250 or GT6. If it's practical and these parts help a few people that could be a good thing. I like to make "things" for my cars if at all possible, as I've said before--it's the challenge-- but 3D printing opens up a new process-for me anyway. Others on this site are doing this also. In any case, my "inventory" is a bunch of part files on my computer. When I need to make a part, just download it to the printer and hit the start key and walk away. For example, that last part I did took less than 20 minutes to print. If I had to buy that part, it's a buck from one of our normal sources. Then wait a week and pay $6.00 for shipping. Parts like this could be put in an envelope and sent for .50 cents. The material cost is very little for most parts like this. I have a ongoing list of parts that I haven't' been able to source for my cars. If it's a rubber or plastic part, if I can draw it on CAD, it can be printed. The printer could print 30 of those at one time. No molds to make , no pouring liquid materials, no mess so it's not labor intensive at all. Just some CAD time. It makes sense for me at this point. I hope I'm encouraging others on this site to challenge themselves. But, I still like to fire up the lathe and Bridgeport and cut metal while the printer is doing its thing. It will likely be a few more years before these home 3D machines will be able to do structural parts. When that happens--look out.
Going to be busy tomorrow cleaning up fresh new 8" of snow. Merry Christmas fellow Triumph enthusiasts.

Cocobear Avatar
Cocobear Gold Member Tim Pouncy
Canyon Lake, CA, USA   USA
Very nice work, I would love to have two please smiling smiley Brain the gasket for the heater box are no longer available, something to think about Tim

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Tim, are you talking about the large round gasket between the heater box and the inner firewall? By gosh, if that is the one you are thinking about, you are right. As I recall, when I rebuilt my heater box, I had to make a crude gasket cut from rubber. My heater box is still out. I'll check and that gasket would be a great item to make. I'll keep you posted here.

quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, IL, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
hi Brian,

redoing a Gt6, MkIII Spit and Herald here (if I live that long) and a friend doing a Spit 6- I would be interested in a few bits down the road and maybe could help out with some pieces as samples or ideas of bits - feel free to call me if you like 847-840-7366 central

thanks
Ralph

Cocobear Avatar
Also these smiling smiley

Attachments:
Screenshot_2017-12-23-06-57-42.jpg    21 KB
Screenshot_2017-12-23-06-57-42.jpg

mykeeb33 Avatar
mykeeb33 Silver Member Mike Bostwick
Puyallup, WA, USA   USA
Brian, it's your GT6+ twin here. I also would like to have one of those rear hatch handle gaskets. If I remember correctly, wasn't the original about 1/8" thick? I think I made mine out of a garden hose gasket. Notched it with a razor knife.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Hi Mike, yes our cars are definitely twins. Even our Vin numbers are close. Looks like I have to print a batch of these. And yes, originally they were 1/8" but on mine I've recessed the top of the seal so the escutcheon sits down in about 1/32".

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Tim, how thick are they? Mine were too crushed to accurately get a dimension.

Cocobear Avatar
Brain, my old ones were in bad shape also. What I did was to make a new gasket for the box, then made four to stop air from passing through, one inside and one outside, plus I added a grommet

Attachments:
20171223_114652.jpg    25.5 KB
20171223_114652.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links