Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Eric , I'm just familiar with my GT6 and TR250, In your picture, it looks like there are two holes for the flapper, is that what I'm seeing? I'll send you a flapper to make sure it fits your car, it's in a slightly different location than my GT6 and maybe has a twist to it??

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tobydog Avatar
Tobydog Dennis E
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
Brian, that looks as good as an original as far as flexibility,great job! I have been thinking about plugging the big hole with a rubber stopper and drilling a hole at the bottom of the collector box ad putting a drain tube with a 90deg.barbed fitting and run a hose down to underneath the car to make darn sure the fumes (from other cars,( never mine) stay out of the cab smiling smiley This is easy to do if the tub is off the frame!!

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Love the ingenuity of guys on this forum. That's what makes us unique.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spits Avatar
spits paul krause
Sunnyandhot, FL, USA   USA
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Rusty; Gone But Not Forgotten!"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
Rarebits4classics produces them. I picked up a couple awhile back. About $6 each if I recall correctly.

Best,

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-20 07:51 PM by spits.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Guess I can't retire to the Caribbean and collect royalties. On to the next project.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Upon further examination I agree with prior comments in other threads where this has come up offering the idea of an old fashioned transmission fluid funnel. Someone managed to insert one from the inside out and trimmed it to fit.

I'm considering a grommet instead press fit from the outside. I mocked up a 1/2" downspout from drip irrigation line using a heat gun.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
HMMMMM. Wouldn't be a big deal to draw up a "special" snap in adapter and print it. Then just run a small hose to where ever. Not sure I'd like the look compared to the simple flap which seemed to have worked for 40 years. It has me thinking though.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Perhaps you could design something better than the original that will direct the flood off the rear deck.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
That has some merit Doug, It may be something a purist wouldn't appreciate but not having water run out and onto that deck area and settle there has some practicality. It's an easy design and easy to print. I'll play with the idea. I've got other parts I'm working on now but I'll put that on my list of possibilities. That's the great thing about 3D printing, it's a great tool for making prototypes and small production runs. Opens up a lot of possibilities.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Here's what I came up with on a spur of the moment.

Attachments:
drain pipe.jpg    24.9 KB
drain pipe.jpg

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
Ive made the early drains too.

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

Attachments:
Screen Shot 12-21-17 at 05.39 AM.JPG    26 KB
Screen Shot 12-21-17 at 05.39 AM.JPG

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Unfortunately RareBits closed shop last year citing lack of industry support. He specialized in rubber parts for our older cars. That's a concern for all of us to some extent. Fewer cars of our era being restored by owners in the age bracket a lot of us are in. The small parts like this subject matter can just simply be ignored. If there is no demand, our regular vendors aren't going to invest in reproducing the small stuff. So they send out one to Taiwan for reproduction and find they have to purchase 1000 or more to get the price point down. My point is with 3D printing technology, all that is needed is an STL. file of a part and the part can be quickly reproduced in very low quantity and no on the shelf inventory required. That's a good thing for us. Plus it allows us to create or modify an original design to make it better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-21 07:13 AM by Bpt70gt.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1503667 by 1147cc Ive made the early drains too.

The firewall is slanted there and if you can add a grommet-like attachment so it can snap in.

I ran mine over the edge and way down. Run a garden hose into the vent to check for leaks.

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
Something that snaps into the opening with a hose fitting to direct the drain away from the firewall would be great. Volvo 1800's have a similar heater box intake and those use a hose on each side of the plenum the directs rain water to the ground on each side of the transmission. It's basically clear 1/2" hose.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

tr4play Avatar
tr4play Eric Elman
CT, USA   USA
Hi Brian,

Re. your question in post #16, the round tail Spitfires only had one flapper covering the left (drivers) side hole. The right side has the tach cable w/grommet go through it. Sorry for the delayed reply, I had to search my disassembly pics to confirm!

Happy Holidays,

Eric

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links