AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SHIMS
scottstogner Scott Stogner
Canton, Georgia, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire "Spit6 / GT6 Conversion"
I need shims to complete the alignment. Does anyone have a box? I don't know how many I need but the alignment shop needs a few. GT6 Spit6 conversion.

Thanks!

Remove or add shims equally to both lower wishbone brackets as necessary. Add shims to go negative, remove shims to go positive. One shim equals about 1 degree.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
shim.jpg    17.7 KB
shim.jpg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Those look like radius rod shims to me, do you need front or rear? These are the front. http://www.spitbits.com/store/29-SHIM-MK41500--P3394.aspx

'S all for now
Vic

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Scott, which system in the rear did you use?
It won't make a difference on the shims just where you attach the radius arm. There are two positions and did you have a GT6 you got the engine and front suspension from? Why not use the adjustable arms from the GT6 rotoflex system, if that was the type you had.
Rimmer sells a adjustable arm for the Spitfire, I got and will use them but expensive.
If you can't source the shims locally, I'll go through my parts boxes, but I think I bought some from VB before getting the new arms.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
They said I needed front and rear. Your attachment pic looks different than my pic. It's a Spit frame and body with GT6 engine and front suspension. Not sure about the rear as my mechanic built the engine and suspension,brakes etc.

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
Scott, The shims are different in the front. Your picture shows a rear shim. Both are available from suppliers. I think Nigel at Spitbits has a better price, but Moss (near Richmond, VA) may cost less for shipping. Your choice. Check with your mechanic to be sure what he needs. How about some pictures of your car, too.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
A bit confused as to the need. Your text mentions the lower wishbones but your photo shows the rear locator rod shims. They are different ducks. I would think an alignment shop would have access to all the shims necessary for the front . The rears are a bit different but not that rare in the shops, from what I was aware some years back.
Dan

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501722 by Yellowhawk Valley I would think an alignment shop would have access to all the shims necessary for the front . The rears are a bit different but not that rare in the shops, from what I was aware some years back.
Dan

I would think that too, but that isn't always the case. It's best to go prepared with the correct shims for the job, IMO.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Spitfire shims are bespoke units, maybe you can find something close enough, maybe not, certainly not a USDM item.
I've made my own, virtually any sheet metal will work, aluminum, steel, whatever.

Thanks for the help. Bought two types of shims on SpitBits. Return the excess quantity or hold for another who ahs the same problem down the road!

Re: SHIMS
spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
I have a coffee can full of various Spitfire/GT6 Shims. If you still need them, contact me by PM or email me at spitlist@cox.net.

Joe

2manyspits Avatar
2manyspits Thomas Schlundt
south bend, IN, USA   USA
I HAVE THE FRONT PM ME

Thomas, are you getting my PM's - Wednesday and Thursday?

How many fronts do you have?

2manyspits Avatar
2manyspits Thomas Schlundt
south bend, IN, USA   USA
ABOUT 60-100

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster