AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Silver Bullet"
Hi All,

I'm working the electrical wiring behind the dash and see 3 black tube-looking "receptacle connectors" attached to wires.

1st one attached to a single blue wire.
2nd one has 2 wires, one white and one brown/white
3rd one has 2 wires, one white and one brown/yellow.

Any ideas on what these go to, and what I should be looking to connect these to under the dash? I don't see a clear place where these 'belong' and should connect.

Thanks!

Matt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
tube connector 1.jpeg    36.7 KB
tube connector 1.jpeg

tube connector 2 - brown-white wires.jpeg    35.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tube connector 3 brown-yellow and white.jpeg    36.6 KB
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Those go in the speedo for the Ign, Oil and High Beam warning lights.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Those don't just fall out. Looks like someone had the speedometer apart and then never put those pieces back into their proper place.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Those are held in with a pair of metal half round metal clips.

There should also be little rubber tips on the end to block the light from flooding it's neighbor.

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Thanks guys!

I can see where they need to be inserted (Douglas - you're right, last owner was starting to replace speedometer and didnt finish. I just installed a new speedo cable now that I have the tranny tunnel off. )

Doug - awesome to know what these are (and how to connect them again).

2 things:

1. You guys wouldnt happen to know which tubes (based upon wire color, I would think?) go to the corresponding Ign, Oil and High Beam indicators?

2. Are there small bulbs in these black tubes that I should look at replacing? Or?

Thanks!

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
You need a wiring diagram...

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Dave - absolutely. Have wiring diagram from my manual,..but completely greek to me. Can you make anything out of it?

Attachments:
MK2 wiring diagram.jpeg    39.8 KB
MK2 wiring diagram.jpeg

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Socket and bulb pull out of the tubes. He should have removed it this way. Function marked on the dial. Test for location. Brights, turn on High beams. Oil & Ign/alt, unplug oil sensor and turn on the key. Alt. indicator will light up. #3, #11, & #38 on the diagram are indicators.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 09:54 PM by Falkon.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
A Triumph enthusiast by the name of Tom O'Mally produced a series of colour, pictographic wiring diagrams.

You should find the applicable diagram on the net.

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/wiring.html

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Matt,

Wiring diagrams may be intimidating at first, but slow down, stop, focus, and study a bit and it will become clearer.

If you look at the second sheet of the diagram, there will be a numbered list telling you what each item is. Find the item you are interested in, for example turn signal indicator light, then locate it on the diagram.

On the second sheet you'll also find a code for the wire colors, i.e., W is White, N is browN, U is blUe. NY is browN with Yellow tracer, etc.

Looking at the diagram, the lines represent wires; using the code, you'll see which color wires connect to the item you are interested in.

Keep in mind that on wiring diagrams, wherever lines appear to intersect that does not represent an electrical connection of the wires...this is a schematic diagram, not a physical representation. Think of the wires as "crossing" each other when you see that on a diagram.

You'll figure it out. In fact, you really need to spend the time to do so.....trust us, you'll come to appreciate it in your future work on these cars.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Not sure of the year for your Mk2 but this diagram courtesy of our good friend here, Andrew Mace, should ber correct and may be easier to understand than the one you have from the Haynes manual. (Tom O'Malley didn't make any good ones for cars this old). I do not work well with those Haynes style diagrams but do have them for all the years. I just never used them much.
I included his .pdf file as well as the jpg as it will expand much more without going fuzzy.
Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 10:34 PM by Yellowhawk Valley.

Attachments:
1965-66 Mk2USwiringAndyMace.jpg    34.4 KB
1965-66 Mk2USwiringAndyMace.jpg

1965-66 Mk2earlyUSspecAndyMace key.jpg    35.1 KB
1965-66 Mk2USwiringAndyMace.pdf    302.1 KB
Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Thank you all for the help!

Tony/Dan - really appreciate the reference materials and link. Very helpful.

Al - the specifics on how to test, and the #'s on the diagram,..THANKS - cutting to the chase very helpful as I am renovating practically the whole car (lol).

Dave - you are absolutely right. I spent some time on the wiring diagram's that the guys provided, and they aren't as scary as I initially thought. I appreciate the encouragement and kick in the back sides. :-)

Doug / Doug - The info on how to reassemble very helpful... the fasteners are gone - so will look for a rebuild kit. (Seller did mention a rebuild was necessary).

Wires neatly organized for now,..and with new speedo cable in at least I can see how fast I am going!

Matt

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Dan, thanks for reposting "my" wiring diagram, which I don't seem to be able to do (this forum software seems to hate my web site...but I digress)! I would note that your (Matt) column and dashboard lighting switches may differ somewhat from what the US-specific diagram shows, although chances are things will match up IF the car was assembled in Belgium with the ultimate destination of the US in mind.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Matt ~ I don't know where you might find those little spade-shapped, metal clips. I too am missing a couple. I managed to salvage one from a parts bin. May have to cannibalise another speedo gauge. If you find a source, do post it.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Consider the idea of moving the warning lights Triumph stuck in the speedometer to somewhere else on the dash.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster