TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

67 Spitfire - Ignition location - is it in wrong place?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Silver Bullet"
Hi Triumph Enthusiasts -

As I continue my 67 Spitfire MK2 renovations I'm finding that the previous owners didn't fix things right or just slapped something on to get a "cheap fix" in certain places. Here's the ignition switch issue:

The Ignition switch is currently located on the steering column. I have a problem - When I turn the key to start up the motor, the steering column moves and the left turn signal comes on. Trying to turn off the turn signal is hard to do, at best. That problem led me to call Moss Motors to talk about the ignition switch. BUT, when I talked to the rep he said that on the 67 MK2 the ignition isn't even supposed to BE on the steering column. So now I'm trying to find out where this ignition switch is supposed to be located.

According to Moss, the Ignition is supposed to be fitted to the dashboard in one of the holes, like those that the control knobs occupy. I see an empty hole, just above the choke on the far right side of the knobs. Is the ignition supposed to be located there?

I ordered a new ignition (have to find it to post a pic). Is the guy at Moss correct? Is the ignition for my MK2 supposed to be up on the dash, filling that empty hole? or is the steering column mount correct?

Thanks!

Matt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
dash 1.jpeg    41.1 KB
dash 1.jpeg

ignition.jpeg    37.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Odds are your Spitfire was first delivered on the European Continent, perhaps sold to someone in the US Armed Forces stationed in -- say -- Germany, and then brought to the US when that person left the service or was transferred stateside. There's also a good chance that your car's commission number has a leading "1" in the commission number, showing it was assembled in Belgium.

Have you noticed anything else unusual about lighting or other features?

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
Its not right or wrong . It probably came out the factory door with the switch in the dash and then at some point the switch / steering got switched out . The ignition being on the left side of the steering wheel is an improvement in some people's eyes . It frees the right hand to do other things / play with the choke / shift into gear / switch on the lights , put on the seat belt / etc etc etc . And then as you are getting into the car you reach the left side before you reach the right side . If you are into fast getaways this could save you fractions of a second .

http://www.wheelsguru.com/why-a-porsche-car-has-its-ignition-key-on-left-side/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 06:40 PM by Lizzard.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Thank you Herald and Lizzard!

Where would I find the Commission number? Your information has me very intrigued and I would love to learn more about my car.

Other than driving it about 10 miles total (to get fluids changed out) I have only been taking things apart, focusing on the fix of leaks, insulating the tranny tunnel, etc. so I haven’t noticed anything really different… But then again I don’t think I know enough, to know what I don’t know LOL .

I do see that there is no passenger (right side) side mirror, and the driver’s-side side mirror is located up on the hood, halfway to the front bumper (wayyy cool, love this) but not a lot else, so far.

When it comes to the ignition, would the change-out to put it in the right side of dash consist of just unplugging wires on old ignition, and then switching them out to the new ignition and placing that in the dash?

I looked on my manual and taking off the ignition and associated lock, on the steering column, looked a little more complicated that taking off a few screws. There are some screws that you have to take out something on the heads of them? (Have to get back in front of manual.. going on memory now) Will all be ok if I take that steering column ignition off?

Thanks!

Matt

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501617 by Matts67spit

Where would I find the Commission number?

1FC83087L

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
Your car is old enough to earn a brand new wiring harness . You might look into it .

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Thanks Dave. That’s pretty darned funny... right there on my vehicle home page. I thought that might be it, but put that in a month ago and forgot.

Any idea if it is ok to remove the ignition off of the steering column, just by itself?

I don’t need to get a new steering column if I take off the ignition,.. do I?

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
Moving the switch off the column and into the dash is easier said than done . The switch assembly also locks the steering on almost all newer cars . You will need to disable the steering lock such that there is absolutely no chance it will ever lock .
A replacement from a parted out 67 should not be all that much money or effort , its not a part that gets replaced , there should be an over supply of them on the market .

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501628 by Lizzard Moving the switch off the column and into the dash is easier said than done . The switch assembly also locks the steering on almost all newer cars . You will need to disable the steering lock such that there is absolutely no chance it will ever lock .
A replacement from a parted out 67 should not be all that much money or effort , its not a part that gets replaced , there should be an over supply of them on the market .

On my 78 you drop the key mechanism off the column and that's about it.

I am still considering a dash mounted key but I want the door key to match.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
It looks to me that someone installed a later model column and turned it around 180 degrees. It looks a bit, should I say ugly, as it is now. You may be able to strip it and cover it so it looks more original, or, find a replacement. I think they are the same through the 69 cars at least. Obtain a stock ignition switch and install it. That hole is the right place, sort of. Switch the cable in the left side same relative hole to the right side empty hole and put the ignition in its place.
Dan

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Here's a crazy thought: Why not try to diagnose and fix the problem. There's a chance all it needs is some cleaning and a good thorough spraying with a dry graphite lubricant. It's hard to say without actually seeing it all whether the left turn signal coming on is directly related and, if so, how (i.e., is something shorting out? is the column movement somehow causing the switch to be activated? etc.)

I'd try the lubricant first. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'd consider removing the column complete and taking a good look at things from the comfort of a workbench rather than while lying on your back, banging your head on every bracket and foot pedal in range, etc.!

Do understand that my perspective is that of a preservationist. If you don't care about originality of your car, just go get a new column, some wire and a switch to put in the dash! It's all good either way! grinning smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
You do have a bit of a Frankenstein there.
Originally the mk2 should have the ignition where your choke is.
But you have the mk3 dash (with the mk3 6500 rpm redline tacho) that moved the switch to where your spare hole is, opposite to where your choke is.

The column ignition switch is from a later car.

Pragmatically, I would take Andrew's advice and fix what is there to make the car run, enjoy it, and improve it over time

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Thanks a bunch guys. As you can tell, I'm under the dash on my back trying to get the wires zip-tied, organized and up out of the way.

I've attached 3 pics of the ignition switch...1 from front and 1 from either side.

LIZZARD - you mention "Moving the switch off the column and into the dash is easier said than done . The switch assembly also locks the steering on almost all newer cars . You will need to disable the steering lock such that there is absolutely no chance it will ever lock ."

DOUG - You shared that "On my 78 you drop the key mechanism off the column and that's about it. "

Can you guys tell which version I have here, from the pics?

DAN - Agreed on the ugliness. [Was going to say it's "uglier than my mother-in-law..." but just remembered I'm happily divorced. winking smiley ] I did buy a stock switch and am going to install here soon. Was just concerned about Lizzards comment about the switch assembly locking the steering,..and if I simply removed it I might be screwing something up. Hence the pics here and re-post asking if you think it's ok to just remove.

Thanks fellas - will check back here in just a bit...back out to the garage,..and checking on my other 'unknown wires Post'.

Attachments:
ignition - underneath.jpeg    59.4 KB
ignition - underneath.jpeg

ignition from passenger side.jpeg    56.3 KB
ignition side.jpeg    60.1 KB
Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Thanks Marcus - definitely going to fix what's here and drive, enjoy, then tinker/improve over time. Only question I have (from my recent post update) is "Is it ok to simply remove the older-model on-column ignition switch and swap out with the stock ignition switch that I bought". If I do this, do I need to buy and install a separate steering column lock, as mentioned above by Lizzard? Or is it as simple as remove the old, swap wires over to new, and install in dash?

claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 1501659 by Matts67spit Thanks Marcus - definitely going to fix what's here and drive, enjoy, then tinker/improve over time. Only question I have (from my recent post update) is "Is it ok to simply remove the older-model on-column ignition switch and swap out with the stock ignition switch that I bought". If I do this, do I need to buy and install a separate steering column lock, as mentioned above by Lizzard? Or is it as simple as remove the old, swap wires over to new, and install in dash?

Bear in mind, that I have never laid eyes on a Spit with a steering lock, (they were never imported here) but it would seem that the lock/switch assembly is bolted to (or more accurately bolted around) the column, and could be removed fairly easily, tamper proof bolts may have to be dealt with. This should leave a naked column, similar to the stock mk2 version and quite functional..

The wires on the back of the switch look like stock colours, so conceivably could be re routed to a switch mounted where your choke is, (where the original mk2 switch was) or with some extension into the hole sized correctly for the switch opposite the choke.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster