AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TheFlash300 Avatar
TheFlash300 Dave Gutknecht
Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil Spit"
I have a similar carb with fixed needle. I moved the jet all the way up and ensured the jet and needle are centered...then I adjust the idle screw to drop the rpms.

It is a good idea to clean the jets in carb cleaner too.

In reply to # 1501673 by byakk0 Joe might not be a bad idea. I bought the new butterfly shafts from him.

The needles are indeed fixed, not adjustable. Both are fairly new as far as I know, but worthy of an inspection again at this point.

The compensators are removed and the port blocked with a bolt. They effectively work like CD150, or so I've been told.

The jets are the adjustable ones with a screwdriver slot, which is the portion I have been turning.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Thanks for all the ideas. Frankly I've done everything suggested at one time or another.

More investigation and thought and consulting I'm starting to think my carbs are less CDSE and more of a hodge-podge of parts that nearly work correctly. I think the jets are the wrong ones and therefore causing a permanent rich condition.

I've got another set that need a complete rebuild and I may just turn my attention to those, but first I may try swapping the jets and possibly the needles as those would be the simplest too test at this point without a lot of effort

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
I guess everyone who's ever owned one has put their own stamp on it somewhere. All part of the fun tho', right Hazen?

Hope you get something that works soon, and let us know how. Always great to hear of another one running bettergrinning smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
at this point at least the function well enough to enjoy, even if it is running a tad rich.

In reply to # 1502025 by 65or66 I guess everyone who's ever owned one has put their own stamp on it somewhere. All part of the fun tho', right Hazen?

Hope you get something that works soon, and let us know how. Always great to hear of another one running bettergrinning smiley

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster