AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

N5329K Avatar
N5329K Silver Member Robin White
Pacific Grove, CA, USA   USA
Anyone use these?
https://vintagecarleds.com/
Robin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Azoth Shane G
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Seems pretty expensive for what look like fairly standard housings with H4 LED bulbs. Is there some advantage to this over using one of the many vendors supplying LED replacements for around $100?

70spit Jon B
Camas, WA, USA   USA
That "classic look" I presume. All the LED replacements I see out there look distinctly non-classic. They're all half the price or less though.

edit: Found a number of these that look very classic for at or below $100/pair.

In reply to # 1501360 by Azoth Seems pretty expensive for what look like fairly standard housings with H4 LED bulbs. Is there some advantage to this over using one of the many vendors supplying LED replacements for around $100?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 03:45 PM by 70spit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Holy cow! $$$

You can upgrade the Hella lenses, so it seems they are just refitting standard halogen headlights with some H4 bulb units, which would be up to $10-$25 each (for heat sink bulbs)

I may go the bulb change route with my Bosch headlights.

joppamoto Mark R
Crestwood, Ky, USA   USA
Or you could go with these. Price is for 2. Ebay item 322177906998. They look quite similar to the style mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 02:27 PM by joppamoto.

dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, New York, USA   USA
These look awful but are the best driving lamps I have ever used.

Attachments:
IMG_5898.JPG    60.7 KB
IMG_5898.JPG

IMG_5900.JPG    34.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
N5329K Avatar
Or you could go with these. Price is for 2. Ebay item 322177906998

Mark:
The specs for those call out 80 watts for power. That's a lotta watts.
Robin

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I think I'll be going with an HID setup when I do the lights on my car. I like HID over LED just for the simple fact that the ballast can be remotely located keeping the majority of the heat out of the headlight bucket area.

joppamoto Mark R
Crestwood, Ky, USA   USA
80 watts is actually quite low. That is the total wattage for the pair. About 3A each.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 02:42 PM by joppamoto.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Beware that this doesn't become a, "How many Spitfire owners does it take to change a lightbulb?" thread.

I recently put in tripods in the Spit and LEDs on my other car. This made the Spit the recipient of the other car's halogens. I already had sealed beam halogens in the Spit before picking up the tripods.

This requires surgery as there is ZERO ventilation in the stock light buckets.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1501425 by RobTAR I think I'll be going with an HID setup when I do the lights on my car. I like HID over LED just for the simple fact that the ballast can be remotely located keeping the majority of the heat out of the headlight bucket area.

Rob,
I would think twice about going with HID lamps. The reliability doesn't seem to be there. With ballast, ignitor, and bulb all to go wrong, when $omething goe$ the trouble $hooting can be painful. They also aren't as easy on the existing wiring as LEDs. Remote mounting the ballasts means high voltage wiring from the ballast to the ignitor.
If you have already converted the headlights to H4 bulbs the socket and wiring will be able to take the heat from LEDs. The original sealed beam socket and wiring probably needs an upgrade to take any extra heat.
All the best,
Paul

N5329K Avatar
Paul:
Would you also say that an original sealed beam HL wiring would need upgrading to go to a heatsink-style LED lamp? The units I'm considering are 25 watts/lamp.
Thanks,
Robin

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Robin,
When you get to LED lights the heat coming out of the heat sink doesn't seem to relate as directly as it does with plain incandescent bulbs. At 25 watts they should be much cooler than the 55W or so of a sealed beam, but they are rejecting their heat almost exclusively from the heat sink which may therefore run hotter than an incandescent bulb's connecting area. It is best to check with the vendor before buying.
All the best,
Paul

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
The wiring for lights has to be proportional to the amperage, which is proportional to the wattage.
The LED lights use LESS power (25W) than the standard lights (55W), and so OEM wiring is just fine.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
In reply to # 1501504 by clshore The wiring for lights has to be proportional to the amperage, which is proportional to the wattage.
The LED lights use LESS power (25W) than the standard lights (55W), and so OEM wiring is just fine.

Carter,
I can't argue about the wattage, but since some LED headlamps require fans to deal with rejected heat something is going on that isn't represented in the simple wattage numbers That rejected heat can certainly cause damage to insulation on the wiring even when the wiring isn't overheating due to the current it is carrying.
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster