Shocks for a GT6. It doesn't sound as simple as I thought

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
What Koni model shocks are you using ? I just visited the Koni web page, and there are options I'm not sure of. Bolt size and travel.
https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/List/?t=KoniPartSearch&q=1969&m=377&mk=43&mt=1

Home of the 1968 GT6+ MK II resurrection project

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 10:14 PM by JohnW63.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 1501518 by JohnW63 What Koni model shocks are you using ? I just visited the Koni web page, and there are options I'm not sure of. Bolt size and travel.
https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/List/?t=KoniPartSearch&q=1969&m=377&mk=43&mt=1

All front shocks are the same.
Rears only differ in bolt dimension, and 1/8" travel which is insignificant.

You will have to measure your existing (top) bolt diameter so they can send you the correct bush size

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501523 by claytoncnc
In reply to # 1501518 by JohnW63 What Koni model shocks are you using ? I just visited the Koni web page, and there are options I'm not sure of. Bolt size and travel.

All front shocks are the same.
Rears only differ in bolt dimension, and 1/8" travel which is insignificant.

You will have to measure your existing (top) bolt diameter so they can send you the correct bush size

I'll disagree, based my experience with the GT6+ that I've owned since 1975.
The standard GT6+ rotoflex rear shocks are different, and by more than bolt diameter.
They feature a smaller body diameter, and upper mounts that attach to brackets on the inner wheelwell, rather than the frame extensions of the swing axle cars.

There are conversion kits available that enable use of 'standard' type shocks:
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RG1306

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
Looking at Koni shock prices and other brands , it seems that THIS package may be my lowest cost, over the $24 "standard" shocks.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RG1184__GAZ

Exchange rate at 1.3 means the set would be $400 plus shipping ?

Any problems with this ? Any fitment issues with our car ? Any better deals ! ?

clshore Carter Shore
'Ride Adjustable' means that you can vary the damping factor, but NOT the ride height.

Have you ever driven a GT6+ with 'standard' shocks?
They are quite capable for street driving.

Are you competing with the car?

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In the same way many Spitfire owners use Corvette Air shocks inthe rear of their cars, it would be nice to know if there was a more common application for GT6 owners .

I doubt the sizing is 'that' unique.

ie. It would be nice to go to the Rock Auto site and select a pair of shocks for 82 Chevy ******
and know they woud fit a GT6.

clshore Carter Shore
Spitfire shocks ARE rather unique, like many other components they were selected for packaging and sizing.
Compressed length is unusually short, we are fortunate that the Corvette featured similar rear shocks.

Size aside, the important thing with any shock application is what's inside:
The compression/rebound damping stiffness.

Unfortunately, that information is never published.

JohnW63 John Williamson
clshore,

Nope. No track time in this car's future.

I just need to find out what shocks will fit. If the "standard" shocks listed a brand, and I knew which ones to get for front and rear rotoflex with CV axles instead of the doughnuts, I would just order them, at this point.

clshore Carter Shore
Go to 'Vendor Market' Forum.
Lot's of choices, they support our Hobby and this List, and often there are discounts for us.
Many folks find the Rock Auto website is useful, it's easy to select the car, year, model, and part.
But don't discount the smaller vendors, they offer more individualized service.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1501775 by JohnW63 clshore,

Nope. No track time in this car's future.

I just need to find out what shocks will fit. If the "standard" shocks listed a brand, and I knew which ones to get for front and rear rotoflex with CV axles instead of the doughnuts, I would just order them, at this point.
John,
Don't obsess about the change from Rotoflex to CV axles. The standard ones for Rotoflex will work with CV axles. CV axles do give you the option of using different top mounting points, which can be advantageous because the normal Rotoflex top mount to the body often suffers from rust.
AFAIK the OEM shocks were Armstrong brand. To the best of my recall they haven't been available for many years. Woodhead picked up the market for OEM replacement shocks when Armstrong stopped. You could check with the vendors to find out whose shocks they are selling as OEM replacement and as upgrade.
All the best,
Paul

JohnW63 John Williamson
Canley has a low cost front shock and NOTHING for the rear available any longer

Rimmer has GAZ or SPAX for the Rear only and some low cost front shock

SpitBits has a low cost front and only GAZ shocks for the rear

Moss Motors lists SPAX or low cost rear and a low cost front.

British Parts Northwest and low cost for both ends

Victoria British doesn't seem to list a Mk II GT6 for shocks.

Any preference, among you guys with experience with these vendors ?

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
BPNW offer KYB gas shocks for the rear, I did not think they were a bad brand.

The No Name brand I think I would avoid.

JohnW63 John Williamson
That is my thought too. I'd rather have a brand, that generic, if I can.

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Those GAZ adjustables look nice. My wife has adjustable Konis on her Miata, usually they are set to full soft, it's nice to be able to stop and harden them up for the twisties or the track. I'm not sure if I will use the GAZ or Koni adjustables when it's time. Konis are the standard in the import circles but the ones for the GT6 have to be taken off to adjust ride settings. On the other hand the GAZ are adjustable in place but I had never heard of them before so to me they are of unknown quality.

Do any of the known vendors use a shock dyno to make sure matched pairs are going out? A lot of the import shops will buy several sets then dyno and swap them around to make sure they are all matched up before selling them off.

Any body know of a double adjustable remote reservoir shock, such as ohlins?

JohnW63 John Williamson
I think GAX and SPAX are both UK based companies, so they don't get much advertising or mention, here in the states.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster