Shocks for a GT6. It doesn't sound as simple as I thought

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I've been using the search button and reading the threads. What I learned is there is a lot to learn.

What I have is a 1969 GT6+ with the CV axle replacing the rotoflex parts. We do not need this car to be an auto cross driver, just a nice handling road car. Since the car is all in parts now, and we are putting all new bushing and suspension bits on it. I thought now would be a good time to install shocks. As others have mentioned, the price can swing wildly. I find "Standard shocks" in the $35 range, some "Gas Shocks" in the $90 range, from British Parts Northwest, and high dollar adjustable ones in the $200 and up range. If there is a decent shock that is good for regular driving and is BETTER than the $25 standard shock, I would be interested in your views.

Home of the 1968 GT6+ MK II resurrection project

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Depends on your driving conditions. Most of the shocks that are gas charged or air are a harder shock than the standard so you have to think about railroad tracks and potholes. The standard will allow more travel and provide a softer ride.

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, California, USA   USA
Hello JohnW63,

I have GAZ adjustable shocks on my GT6 along with new road springs for the front.
Took sometime to dial in the shock bounce and rebound but once adjusted the ride is great and the handling is precise and predictable.
I took the time to play with the settings for my different driving situations like the occasional autocross and spirited drive in the mountains and just driving on tour.
The cost was actually not that bad and the benefit was worth it in my humble opinion.
Hope this helps.
cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
New Parts from Rimmer Bros 20170227_180359.jpg    39.9 KB
New Parts from Rimmer Bros 20170227_180359.jpg

JohnW63 John Williamson
Those have all the look of $280 a pair front shocks and $200 for the rears.

If it was going to me MY car and I knew I wanted to really zip it around, I might go that route. Since it's going to be my wife's and she just wants to drive around town, when not using her GTI, I don't think I need to go THAT high end.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501252 by JohnW63 I don't think I need to go THAT high end.

Does it help to know today's standards are way better than the standards from 30+ years ago?

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, years ago we (wife and I) did her GT6 MK3 in the firm shocks. We did some auto cross and the time difference was better but the ride for her to run around in was not what she wanted. Adjusting them was going to be troublesome.
Long story short we went with gas and never looked back. Firm but not jarring.
The Spit6 we are building now will have adjustable, I will try to keep her out of it as she is much younger than me at 75 and still a bit wild.
These young wiipper snappers.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
My 80 spit has what, I am assuming, are factory shocks (Girling Decarbo) and they are gas filled.

JohnW63 John Williamson
My forum searches indicate that not all gas shocks have the same firmness, and you have to get the right ones to not make the ride height too high. Does anyone have a brand and model they would suggest ?

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Gas shocks have a small, low pressure gas charge to keep the oil from foaming, (shouldn't change ride height much, if any) are you thinking of "air shocks" that are pressurized with air (by you) to set/alter your ride height?

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Note that the GT6+ rear shocks are different than Spitfire or Swing axle GT6 units, being smaller diameter gas filled units.
They also use different mounting points.
The CV axles provide more shock clearance, and there are adaptor kits for converting to 'regular' style shocks.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Carter is right to let you be aware of a difference. Some will try and sell you a one fits all, not so.
The adapter is really a extension off the normal Spitfire mount and works fine to clear the rotoflex. We got the kit for the last Convertible GT6 conversion from Rimmer in England. The standard ones that go in the wheel well are longer and thinner.
I

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

JohnW63 John Williamson
Steve,

In reply to a post by are you thinking of "air shocks" that are pressurized with air (by you) to set/alter your ride height?

That is what I thought, before reading some threads, in this forum, about shocks. Apparently some brands are higher pressure and the low weight of the rear of the GT6 can end up too high.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
John,
Is there anything in particular you have against the standard shocks? They should suit the use you propose.
If you are going to spend more on shocks consider Koni shocks. When set full soft Konis are intended to match the ride of the standard shock. After long mileage, when wear makes them too soft, adjusting them by one "sweep" should restore the performance to standard starting the cycle again. You won't use up all the available adjustment this way.
All the best,
Paul

claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 1501448 by spitfire50 John,
Is there anything in particular you have against the standard shocks? They should suit the use you propose.
If you are going to spend more on shocks consider Koni shocks. When set full soft Konis are intended to match the ride of the standard shock. After long mileage, when wear makes them too soft, adjusting them by one "sweep" should restore the performance to standard starting the cycle again. You won't use up all the available adjustment this way.
All the best,
Paul

I concur with the advice Paul gives.
There is nothing wrong with the OE shocks, and they last a long time.

If aftermarket, Konis for a non race car.

JohnW63 John Williamson
I guess my issue with what I see called "standard shocks" is that I have no idea what they are. No brand, or model or any specs. I have no real need to go higher performance, but it would be nice to know what they are and who to call , should they fail. Also, do I need something different, with my CV Joint axles rather than the stock Rotoflex ?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph GT6 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links