AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GT6 Gas Tank Repair
  This topic is about my 1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII
FlipperD2 Flipper Davis
Dallas, TX, USA   USA
I'm at my wits end here. My 72 GT6's gas tank is leaking. There was some rust on the bottom with some pinholes and thin spots in the metal. I cleaned everything off with a wire brush, sand paper and the works. I put some of the JB weld gas tank repair all over the bottom because that is what everyone said will work. It has been holding now for a couple of months, but I get in the thing today and it smells like a refinery plant. Looked and sure enough, I have gas leaking all over the place.
Does anyone have a place they know of I can ship the tank to or some better product that will seal this blasted thing? I live in Dallas (close to rather) and I can't seem to find anyone that will touch this thing.
I'm hoping one of you smart people out there can help me. If I have to ship it fine, I just want this thing fixed. I would prefer it to be done the right way.

Or, if someone has a spare tank they would be willing to sell at a REASONABLE price. I had a spare one, but it has more rust on/in it than Antartica has snow. The bad thing is, this car is my daily driver. It needs to get fixed pretty quick.

If it's not leaking, it's empty.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
The usual outlets offer a modernized plastic after market tanks that aren't too expensive and light shipping.

I think they come with the fuel sending unit installed so it's pretty much plug and play.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Most people are overly cautious/scared of a fuel tank! Take off any rubber/plastic items, (and the cap) put an inch of water and some dishwasher soap (non-foamy) in it and put it on you grill and boil the hell out of it. Once this is done, flush and rinse with clear water, empty, then put it back on the grill and heat it up hot. (3-400 degrees) It is now like any other piece of sheet metal, cut out the offending rust and weld in new steel.
Edit; obviously one should get all the liquid gasoline out of the tank and flush with water before any heat is applied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-03 08:51 PM by Wolfcreek Steve.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Kinda weird since so many tanks these days have internal pumps.

dplass Avatar
dplass Silver Member David P
Merrick, New York, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "The Beast"
2011 Ford Fusion
I have yet to find (or even see referenced) a plastic aftermarket tank for a GT6. Are you referring to generic ("universal"winking smiley tanks?

In reply to # 1501221 by Doug in Vegas The usual outlets offer a modernized plastic after market tanks that aren't too expensive and light shipping.

I think they come with the fuel sending unit installed so it's pretty much plug and play.

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

FlipperD2 Flipper Davis
Dallas, TX, USA   USA
I'd rather not go the universal tank route. If I have to I will, but I'd rather not.
I also have never heard of "grilling" and tank before either. I understand what you are getting at, but it is kinda funny, at least to me. My welding skills are not the best, so I'm not sure I want to try on a tank. The metal is a lot thinner than what I'm use to welding. I really don't want to screw it up make it worse.

If it's not leaking, it's empty.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
I I chose the grill, because my wife's oven isn't big enough. (have used it for stress relieving small welded parts though)

Cliftondutch Graeme H Holland
Manchester, Greater Manchester, UK   GBR
Hi from the UK

Not tried this method but heard some very good reports.

https://www.frost.co.uk/how-do-i-repair-my-fuel-tank

Good Luck
Graeme

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1501321 by Wolfcreek Steve I I chose the grill, because my wife's oven isn't big enough. (have used it for stress relieving small welded parts though)

WE've not heard back from Steve. Hope all is well.
John

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Triumph Herald 1200

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links