Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

AZMoose Mike R
Chandler, Arizona, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Felicity"
OK, so I got a new polyethylene tranny cover from Clark and Clark and all the necessary hardware items from Spitbits but am now puzzling over how it all fits together. From what I have found on other forum posts here, it appears that I am supposed to stick the gasket to the cover. Is this with the U-Groove down and the self-adhesive strip inside the flange of the cover? I tried a small section and it seems that the adhesive on the seal is nowhere near strong enough to stick to the plastic of the transmission cover. Any suggestions on both the process and the product needed to complete this task? Hopefully my question makes some sort of sense. confused smiley

Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bobbylrowland bobby l
cochran, ga., USA   USA
I'm sure others will probably offer better advice but after experiencing the same problem I cleaned the area where seal fits with green side of yellow&green sponge. After drying I wiped it down with alcohol, and then brushed on a layer of contact cement.

laverda1200 Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
I also used adhesive to get the weather seal to stick. "While you are at it" allow me to recommend you line the inside and outside of the new plastic trans cover with noise deadening material. There was a reason Triumph used heavy cardboard with bags of insulations stuffed in bags hanging inside the trans tunnel.......

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GottaSpit Avatar
GottaSpit Duncan A
Folsom, California, USA   USA
I just had this same problem. The gasket is u-shaped because why? Also those key-hole shaped fasteners are needed why?

I stuck the gasket to the cover as you described. Also used contact cement to attach some foil-type insulation I got from the hardware store to the inside. I just used washers instead of the key-hole thingees.

I also had a new (cheapee) carpet kit that went over the tunnel which helps keeps the noise down. If you aren't doing carpet as well, and don't already have some from the previous tunnel, think about getting piece of carpet (like a small industrial carpet from Home Depot) and cut it to fit prior to your install.

Changed tranny oil, rear seal and speedo seal before I put on the tunnel. I figure it would suck to have to take it back off anytime soon!

BTW, I love this mod. The old tunnel was a piece of ...

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Yes, clean the lip of the cover and use weather strip adhesive to glue the seal to it. Use the key slot devices as they grab the edge well and as the holes are large enough for the screw heads to slip through, both in the clip and the cover, you do not have to pull the screws all the way out to remove the cover. That is the purpose. You don't lose the screws so easily.

Dan

dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, New York, USA   USA
Before you re install the tunnel you may want to cut some ports into the sides of the tunnel for easy access to the transmission fluid plug on the right side and the speedometer cable and slave cylinder on the left side. Once you have done this you very rarely have to remove the radio tower and carpet again.

Attachments:
IMG_6951.JPG    63.6 KB
IMG_6951.JPG

IMG_6950.JPG    50.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
AZMoose Mike R
Thanks to everyone who offered advice on this. I'll be taking another cut at it this upcoming weekend, and I am feeling confident I can have a degree of success with it.

Cheers!

Mike

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
Put the reflective foil insulation on the inside of the tranny cover, not the outside.

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
Key hole fasteners allow you to remove the cover without fully removing the bolts/screws... loosen the screw then just slide the keyhole fastener off. (in theory)

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1501905 by tmpass Key hole fasteners allow you to remove the cover without fully removing the bolts/screws... loosen the screw then just slide the keyhole fastener off. (in theory)

IN THEORY!

I don't think the transmission cover can be too well sealed or insulated. Insulation makes such a big differance to the comfort and sound level in the car.

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
Before you start installing the carpet, make sure the tunnel is sealed well to the firewall. Every plastic tunnel cover I've used has been flat. The firewall it seals to is not flat and the seal isn't thick enough to make up the difference, allowing heat and noise to get past.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

AZMoose Mike R
In reply to # 1501911 by IanF Before you start installing the carpet, make sure the tunnel is sealed well to the firewall. Every plastic tunnel cover I've used has been flat. The firewall it seals to is not flat and the seal isn't thick enough to make up the difference, allowing heat and noise to get past.

Good to know; so the obvious question that I have is what is the preferred solution to filling the voids if the u-channel seal is not going to cut it?

dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, New York, USA   USA
The transmission cover you see in my photos is covered inside and out. If you are only going to do one side the transmission side would be a more effective application. The cover on the cockpit side is more for sound deadening than heat control, and it works well for both. I'm now into my third year and one of the worries was that it would soften and fall off on the transmission side. I have had it out several time and it is not going anywhere, I only hope I never have to remove it.

FYI one of the top contributors intimated that too quiet, things you can't hear could develop into a problem.

In reply to # 1501904 by Mark Jones Put the reflective foil insulation on the inside of the tranny cover, not the outside.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1501920 by AZMoose
In reply to # 1501911 by IanF Before you start installing the carpet, make sure the tunnel is sealed well to the firewall. Every plastic tunnel cover I've used has been flat. The firewall it seals to is not flat and the seal isn't thick enough to make up the difference, allowing heat and noise to get past.

Good to know; so the obvious question that I have is what is the preferred solution to filling the voids if the u-channel seal is not going to cut it?

Multiple layers of channel seal.
Dan

cdnwillyg Avatar
cdnwillyg Willy Grueber
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Bear"
On my tunnel I went to Rona and got this door seal insulation, it against stock, and used Peel and Seal on the tunnel inside. Make sure all screws in cover to firewall get installed. Good luck!

'74 Spitfire 1500 Restoration Project "Bear"

Attachments:
20160704_144923.jpg    38.3 KB
20160704_144923.jpg

20160704_161230.jpg    50.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster