Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RobBB Rob H
Burbank, California, USA   USA
Hello,
My name is Rob. I just joined. I am working on a 72 Spitfire Mk. IV.
my question is:

When I had the new dampers installed in the front springs, the springs were straight. During installation, I loosened the top nylock nut while attempting to get the rubber bush through the strut tower hole. Later during final assembly, and after I tightened up the top nylock again, I noted the surrounding spring was curved.

Any Ideas why? and as well, how can i straighten the curve spring out?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Rob,
The spring will take a curve if the load on it isn't centered. Nothing to worry about as long as the spring doesn't hit anything because of the curve.
All the best,
Paul

RobBB Rob H
Paul,
thank you.
it is not hitting the spring, the damper that is.
but,
how did the shop get the spring seemingly perfectly centered? and when i loosened and tightened the same top NYLOCK i got a different result?
Is there a way you know to center as you say, the load?
thanks
rob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RobBB Rob H
Hello Paul,
sorry to bother you with the same question:
or actually a slightly different out come on same q:

Just installed the strut unit, and the spring is resting up against the back side of the damper. I'm going to move on with brake hydraulics and bearings., as I have no way to 'straighten' the damper or move it toward center.
A local shop did the damper install due to My spring compressor was the wrong size, (too big) for these springs. My only option is to remove the strut unit and take them back over to the shop for 'centering'.

Thanks, Im new to these struts and their installation.
rob

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
I'm assuming that you still have the wheels up in the air. The springs may straighten out when the car is back at its normal ride height.

Marty

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I have seen this off center/curved spring happen when the top and bottom plane of the spring is not directly perpendicular to the center line of the spring. Usually caused by the last coil not being ground properly. I don't know what can be done with a "curved" spring other than try to rotate it and see if there is a change. Obviously the car weight has to be off it.
Dan

RobBB Rob H
Hello Marty,
Yes, up in air on jack stands. I am hoping the same.
I appreciate all the help so far from you and Paul.
Worst case scenario, I have to take it to the shop once it's running, and have them fix the centering.
fortunately, if all else fails, there is a Triumph specialty shop here where I live.

Thank you again,
Rob

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links