Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
To offset the frosted lens I made, I had planned on using a bright LED bulb if necessary but my original lens is still in good shape so I'll be using that. The lens was one of those parts that are no longer available new from any source I could find so on a rainy afternoon I drew up the lens. My lens retains the spin feature so that's why I made the retainers. I am going to reduce the infill on the next experiment and that will make it a little more transparent but may also produce a somewhat more fragile part. Keep up the great work Douglas. It's guys like you that can help keep our cars going with new technology. Attached is the internal seal printed part to the GT6 with the advance/retard vacuum module. The module is no longer available so I'm experimenting to see if I can rebuild mine with a new diaphragm and seal. The seal shown is done in PLA but making it with TPU is my next try. I haven't tried using TPU yet so that should be fun. I'm hoping it's flexible enough. I have so many parts ready to experiment with and having a ton of fun. On my TR250 surrey top, there is a special plate that with a pocket that fits up into the top of the surrey frame. I made that the other day and it looks very nice but may not be strong enough. I may end up making those in steel but it's another part that is NLA. The possibilities are endless.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
GT6 vacuum unit internal seal.jpg    23.9 KB
GT6 vacuum unit internal seal.jpg

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Has anyone considered scoping a shift knob?

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
That would be a fairly easy project. Any particular shape? Round ball like original or something more intricate, maybe with your initials engraved in the top? Maybe shift pattern cut in or extruded out of the top? There are many possibilities. You can even print the threads to screw it to the shift lever but for strength I'd suggest epoxying in a steel insert. I can see another project for myself coming on. Should be some shape that is different / personalized, because you can buy many run of the mill shift knobs. it would have a little texture to the surface for good grip. I think I'd make mine red to match my car. A carbon fiber knob? Yes you can get carbon fiber filament but the machine has to be able to handle it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1501106 by Bpt70gt That would be a fairly easy project. Any particular shape? Round ball like original or something more intricate, maybe with your initials engraved in the top? Maybe shift pattern cut in or extruded out of the top? There are many possibilities. You can even print the threads to screw it to the shift lever but for strength I'd suggest epoxying in a steel insert. I can see another project for myself coming on. Should be some shape that is different / personalized, because you can buy many run of the mill shift knobs. it would have a little texture to the surface for good grip. I think I'd make mine red to match my car. A carbon fiber knob? Yes you can get carbon fiber filament but the machine has to be able to handle it.

Beats this:

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Just waiting until I can easily 3D print a new 16 valve cylinder head, perhaps a set of tubular Titanium connecting rods.
Or perhaps for something more attainable, the rear plate for the R160 Diff conversion?
Not there yet, but I can see such on the horizon.

BTW, has anyone priced the metal powders required for structural AM parts?
Bring the BIG wallet (for now).

Anyone care to guess how long until 3D printers will show up in Harbor Freight?

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Carter, that's funny!! You and I may not see it in our lifetime but I'm willing to bet it's on the minds of really smart people. My 4 yr. old grandson will see it happen maybe. In his lifetime he'll be talking to his kids about the old days when wheeled vehicles traveled using a liquid called gasoline.

Right now I'm happy with plastic parts. Just a few years ago 3d printing machines were out of the range of us normal people. Now I know three friends of mine that have them. They'll be as common as paper printers in homes in a few years. Need a Christmas present for the kids? Print one. We've printed a couple Cobra gun ships for my grandsons, actually they are models of "AirWolf" choppers, remember that series. About 10 inches long.
You and I learned on typewriters. Most young kids today have no idea what they are. We must me ancient.

Harbor Freight is probably a few years away from offering them, I was there yesterday. I should have asked.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
The great tennis ball shift knob, I remember it well. Car must have been owned by Conners.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1501133 by Bpt70gt The great tennis ball shift knob, I remember it well. Car must have been owned by Conners.

Wannabe Connors.

People just don't play tennis like they used to.

Probably because you can't Tweet while playing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-03 11:24 PM by Doug in Vegas.

smellsofbikes John B
Arvada, COLORADO, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Queen Anne's Revenge"
I got my printer for $200. That's definitely Harbor Freight territory. In fact, the price is dropping so fast they might not ever bother trying to cover that market. There are already ones in the $120 range.

Flexible filament is difficult. It's hard to get it to adhere to itself, and printing diaphragms from it is going to be quite challenging as it's not likely to be airtight.

3d printing all the forms for a 16v head, making all the cores and setting them into the forms, burning the whole works out, and pouring in aluminum is one of the projects I'm actively planning on doing (although for a different engine than the Triumph.)

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1501264 by smellsofbikes 3d printing all the forms for a 16v head, making all the cores and setting them into the forms, burning the whole works out, and pouring in aluminum is one of the projects I'm actively planning on doing (although for a different engine than the Triumph.)

Almost "lost wax". Now we're talking custom intake manifolds on a wireframe.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Prices are dropping John, the machine we are using has had a couple upgrades since we got it. Always improving on them and the price gets better. They'll be very common in the house hold in a few years. There are online libraries of parts and toys and what ever else and those are expanding fast. I was serious when I said that if you need a certain item such as toys or some other home gismo, you'll just print it. I'd love the 3D scanners to drop below $1000. That would be a game changer and almost eliminate the need for us CAD designers except for new designs.. The filament options are getting better also. I haven't run the TPU flexible filament yet but if I can't get an air tight seal then I'll go to making a 3D mold and pouring a silicone seal. There's always a way.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I remember linning up at a Boxing day sale to buy a 1 megapixle didgital camera for $200 eye popping smiley

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1501264 by smellsofbikes I got my printer for $200. That's definitely Harbor Freight territory. In fact, the price is dropping so fast they might not ever bother trying to cover that market. There are already ones in the $120 range.

Flexible filament is difficult. It's hard to get it to adhere to itself, and printing diaphragms from it is going to be quite challenging as it's not likely to be airtight.

3d printing all the forms for a 16v head, making all the cores and setting them into the forms, burning the whole works out, and pouring in aluminum is one of the projects I'm actively planning on doing (although for a different engine than the Triumph.)

Investment casting using 3D printer for the wax patterns is already a common commercial process.

http://www.stratasys.com/solutions/additive-manufacturing/tooling/investment-casting.

Rather than design it all from scratch, a scan of an existing head allows you to incorporate things like combustion chamber
and runner design into your CAD model.

There are already commercial software packages that will take your 'as finished' CAD model, and apply dimensional changes to
compensate for material shrinkage into the wax master. It will also suggest optimal locations and sizing for the runners and the sprues.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501106 by Bpt70gt That would be a fairly easy project. Any particular shape? Round ball like original or something more intricate, maybe with your initials engraved in the top? Maybe shift pattern cut in or extruded out of the top? There are many possibilities. You can even print the threads to screw it to the shift lever but for strength I'd suggest epoxying in a steel insert. I can see another project for myself coming on. Should be some shape that is different / personalized, because you can buy many run of the mill shift knobs. it would have a little texture to the surface for good grip. I think I'd make mine red to match my car. A carbon fiber knob? Yes you can get carbon fiber filament but the machine has to be able to handle it.

Just a simple round ball works for me!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Attachments:
hand tattoo.jpeg    23.7 KB
hand tattoo.jpeg

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1501320 by Wolfcreek Steve

Just a simple round ball works for me!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Single rail or 3 rail pattern?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster