TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Burning smell during cranking

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dplass Avatar
dplass Silver Member David P
Merrick, New York, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "The Beast"
2011 Ford Fusion
A few weeks ago I ran the oil pump via a drill until I got about 65 lbs of oil pressure.

Then, after a couple weeks of nothing, I cranked the engine today. The distributor was out, and the coil was unplugged. The plugs were still in. During cranking, I could see the oil drive gear turning, but the oil pressure stayed at zero (!). Then I smelled something burning, which stopped when I stopped cranking.

I looked for anything obvious but couldn't see anything.

I know it's a long shot but any suggestions/Ideas?



-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Are you sure the gear that was turning was engaging the shaft below?

dplass Avatar
dplass Silver Member David P
Merrick, New York, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "The Beast"
2011 Ford Fusion
Almost positive that it was in the right tooth alignment and depth as when I removed it.

In reply to # 1500943 by Doug in Vegas Are you sure the gear that was turning was engaging the shaft below?



-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I suspect the burning was the windings of your starter motor, after a prolonged cranking.

Why were you cranking it?

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
See if you can spin the shaft again.

Hate to think something happened to the oil pump. (Assume the engine is still in the car.)

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
David,
I'm with Tony on this one. The most likely reason for a burning smell is overheated wiring somewhere.Since you had already gotten oil up into the engine when you pumped the pressure up the internal parts of the engine would have had enough oil left there to keep their temperatures below the burning smell point for quite a long time. Along with the starter windings, the battery cables could be getting hot at the terminals, so check at the + and - of the battery and the solenoid/starter relay.
All the best,
Paul

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Just a long shot but do you still have the main ground connected to bell housing bolt and the battery box brace bolt? If not you may be grounding the starter through other cables and wires which will not be happy.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501029 by Yellowhawk Valley Just a long shot but do you still have the main ground connected to bell housing bolt and the battery box brace bolt? If not you may be grounding the starter through other cables and wires which will not be happy.
Dan

Spitfire and GT6 Magazine mentioned a case where the only ground the engine could find was through the accelerator cable which melted.

dplass Avatar
dplass Silver Member David P
Merrick, New York, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "The Beast"
2011 Ford Fusion
Thanks for all the suggestions/ideas.

The ground is still connected to the bell housing and the sheet metal next to the battery.

It's possible it was from the starter after prolonged cranking, but rebuilt it last spring and would be surprised (and sad) if it was the starter.

I'll look again towards the solenoid or other wiring.



-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Starters are not built to be used for more than a few seconds. The OE Lucas starter are worse than most.

Pulling the plugs when cranking to pump oil helps.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!


Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster





Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links