Fuel Cap Rubber Seal for 75 Spitfire

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Morgan Hill, California, USA   USA
Where can I get a fuel cap rubber seal for my 75 Spitfire like the one on the left in the photos vented or not. The one on the right I ordered from Rimmer Bros and it is totally different. I must be missing something. Can't seem to find on Moss, Victoria British, British Northwest or the Roadster Factory.

Thanks Geoff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 10:11 PM by 70tbolt.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0791.JPG    7.2 KB
IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG    6.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Check the ones at Canley Classics. They show two different ones, one US and one for others. Their US sample in the photo does look very similar to the one in my 75. Also a shot of a 78 seal.
Dan

Attachments:
75 filler2.jpg    28.1 KB
75 filler2.jpg

78 filler2.jpg    29 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I'm ordering one as an "add on" for another order.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
This is what my cap looks like. The center of the seal I got from Rimmers (like yours) does not fit in the opening on mine.

Geoff

Attachments:
IMG_0795.JPG    10.9 KB
IMG_0795.JPG

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Interesting. Looks like a restrictor plate was added so that the nozzel from a Leaded gas pump could not be used to miss-fuel the car (unleaded pumps had smaller nozzels)

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
In reply to # 1500880 by 70tbolt This is what my cap looks like. The center of the seal I got from Rimmers (like yours) does not fit in the opening on mine.

Geoff

You are lucky enough to have the California smog cap style I am guessing. Does your Commission # have the C at the end of the numbers? That would be the difference between yours and the one I show for my 75 that is NOT a Ca. car. Like you, I did not find one of the rubbers that was specifically for a Ca. car. The later Ca. cars, at least my 79, had the setup as shown on the 78 photo. Is yours damaged, I can't see from the photo. You may have to just find some fuel resistant rubber and make one or try some sort of repair on yours.
That is a different looking restrictor on there, I had only seen the kind that were down inside the filler neck. That is obviously an unleaded nozzle hole.
Dan

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Thanks Dan, yes it is a California car. The rubber seal I have is damaged (see my original post) and not sure if I can make a repair or not. It will probably work as is but my dilemma is there is no smog equipment on the car and I have capped off the emissions vent at the top of the fuel tank. Therefore I may need to poke a small hole in the center of my seal to prevent a vacuum. However, the seal being damaged as it is, I'm sure would cause a gas smell in my garage. May need to bite the bullet and get a new gas cap.

Geoff

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Just get a new rubber seal for $3.99.

While you are waiting you can cut a small piece of neoprene sheet and close the cap on it.

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Thanks Doug, but unfortunately that type will not work. I have one of those and it is designed for UK type. Mine is a California car.

Geoff

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1500907 by Doug in Vegas Just get a new rubber seal for $3.99.

While you are waiting you can cut a small piece of neoprene sheet and close the cap on it.

Doug,
Geoff has already tried that. It doesn't fit. The neoprene sheet idea may work for him, but he is looking for a real fuel cap seal to fit his cap.

Geoff,
You may have to swap to a cap from another year Spitfire. Oh, and you are better off having the charcoal canister than you are with a direct vented filler cap.
All the best,
Paul

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1500938 by 70tbolt Thanks Doug, but unfortunately that type will not work. I have one of those and it is designed for UK type. Mine is a California car.

Geoff

My car is a California car too.

Some kid managed to pry off my original cap right out of it's rubber mount. Had to replace the cap. Glued the replacement in with a bit of form a gasket adhesive sealant so it can't be stolen again.

How about this one?

http://www.spitbits.com/store/1d-GAS-CAP-INTERNAL-SEAL-MK3-GT6-P1057C282.aspx

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
I think there will be a huge majority of owners will suggest to NOT go with the vented cap as it will smell up the garage. The line to the charcoal canister is a very good idea and it has no affect on anything else.
Dan

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Looks like the part # might be ZKC1559 (for California) based on one of the parts books. Unfortunately can't find it online anywhere. Are there any superseded parts list?

Thanks
Geoff

N5329K Avatar
N5329K Silver Member Robin White
Pacific Grove, CA, USA   USA
I have a California 1978 and this gas cap seal worked perfectly:
http://www.spitbits.com/store/2-GAS-CAP-SEAL-MK41500-P3048C170.aspx
Robin

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Thanks Robin. I bought one of those and unfortunately it does not fit my correctly.

Geoff

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links