AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
How nice to see young folks enjoying Spitfires!

Cheers, Alan

Check on the photos every now and then... all free for download, in all sizes.

The British Motorcar Festival Bristol RI:

Photographs - For your computer

A BMCNE Cruise:

Portsmouth & Aquidnik Island, RI

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bobs78Spit Avatar
Bobs78Spit Silver Member Bob Berger
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501002 by TheZster Appreciate the sentiment...... She spends the first year driving our Grand Cherokee.... and practicing her driving skills at the local racetrack on Rally days.....

Steven,

Have you contacted the St. Louis Triumph Owners Association? We have a good group of folks who work on and drive these. http://www.sltoa.org/

rockery382 Thomas Cole
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Tabitha"
I'm 19 and mines a bit wrecked but I have one! It's my first project. I was looking for a roaster a few years back and my girlfriends mom pointed me in the British direction. I fell in love with the spit so I went and bought the only one near me.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20171130_174152.jpg    44.6 KB
IMG_20171130_174152.jpg

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
Thanks - I'm looking forward to joining the St. Louis group.... but thought I'd wait until we actually have the vehicle in St. Louis..... Daughter sees the car for the first time Christmas Eve.... and we trailer it back to St. Louis from Dallas.....

In case I missed it on your post - send me a link to get in touch with the group of Spit Groupies...

Thx.

Z

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Hey Bob.....

Just joined the St. Louis Group.... $15.75 - a pittance.... considering what this little vehicle is going to end up costing me in the long run.... LOL....

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
For a 19 year old - You're a Brave Soul!!

Be prepared for frustration, heartache, and writing lots of checks.... But also be prepared for the absolute euphoria that comes with achieving your goals.......

Congrats.... and Best of Luck to you...

Z

69Mk3Spit Avatar
69Mk3Spit Silver Member Dino Finelli
Oakville, ontario, Canada   CAN
Me in 1990.... 18year old.

Next year will be the last year with her, need to make room for my new cat.

Attachments:
history 3.jpeg    18.4 KB
history 3.jpeg

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 9.40.12 AM.jpg    42.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rockery382 Thomas Cole
Thanks Steven Z. Im excited for your daughter. I hope she finds everything she wants in that car and more. I wish i had that option. In school i was the only kid who got a job and paid for my own car. I was also the only one who had to fix their own car. It was a great learning experience. I think it really developed my character and my appreciation for my car. I think its one of the best decisions my father made while raising me.

I have always owned beaters, so I know heart ache and a light wallet. Or was that the girls I went with in high school? Anyways now that every car in the neighborhood runs and drives great I was looking for a real challenge. Higher risks meet higher rewards right? I hope to god you're right about the euphoria. Everyone says they feel it....but I dont see their British cars in the drive way anymore....

but so far so good. Im learning alot about theses ol' thmey breaker points ignition systems and carbonated intakes. I got the thing to start and run for the first time since 1984. not too shabby. know only if she looked decent.

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
It's good to see some younger folks interested in the cars. When I go to local Triumph club gatherings I am often the youngest one there - and I'm 47.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Would any of you young guys buy a complete basket case and rebuild it from the ground up? Even knowing it will take at least five years, of all your spare time.

'S all for now
Vic

69Mk3Spit Avatar
69Mk3Spit Silver Member Dino Finelli
Oakville, ontario, Canada   CAN
Absolutely......................NOT spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It really depends on the condition of the body and frame this will be your biggest expense. If you are planning on doing the body and paint yourself through the years then go for it. It will be great experience. Parts are cheap and for the most part easily attainable.

I personally would buy a straight car and restore the interior, suspension and drive train, engine bay in the off seasons. One year brakes/suspension and rear end, next year engine transmission the year after interior and so on and so on and so on and so on!!

rockery382 Thomas Cole
Victor, I did XD. this thing was wrecked by some tweakers. The wires are hacked and slashed, the engine was disassembled when I got it, and someone at some point rattle canned the car black (and disassembled the entire body to do so). Take that and thrown on the rotten floor pan and basically missing all of the interior and you see a basket case is what I got.

Attachments:
IMG_20171130_174200.jpg    37.9 KB
IMG_20171130_174200.jpg

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Let's face it guys.... (You "older enthusiasts"winking smiley.......

Try to remember when you were 18 - 24...... and hoping to make the paycheck stretch until the next one..... Having a Spit reconstruction is a luxury few of us could have afforded at that point (A second car - that doesn't run??)....

We're (I'm one of the "older enthusiasts"winking smiley... lucky that we have a few bucks to spend on owning an old classic (Keep in mind also - a Spit is about as cheap as you can go with a "classic" - I found a 74 XKE without a motor and they wanted $40K for it)....

Any "youngster" aka: rockery 382...... who takes on a project of this nature is to be given major kudo's and encouragement - as I'm sure we all will..... I got a note from him that mentioned having to learn about points, condensors, timing, and "god forbid" air aspirated carburation..... Old hat and easy to understand for me - I grew up with them - changing points yearly, adjusting my jetting and timing advance regularly..... Today's vehicles are far cry from what we oldies grew up with and know a bit about.... Imagine trying to learn how to set up a computer operated timing system and fuel injection system.... Not ME! I have a hard enough time logging on to my laptop.....LOL

I'm very lucky -- enough spare bucks to afford a cheap spit... and a 14 year old daughter who is in love with them..... Let's see how enthusiastic she is when it comes time to do the complete engine rebuild (raise compression, new cam, pistons, balancing, decking the head, porting and polishing, exhaust system, carb system, cooling system, ... etc.)? Haha.... and this is before we start body work, paint work, suspension..... yadda yadda yadda....

Z

Andrew B. Avatar
Andrew B. Andrew B
Stonington, Connecticut, USA   USA
Victor, I bought a basket case MGB last year (at age 19) knowing full well how much effort it would be. I quickly learned that my lack of money and experience was the problem! Now that car is being used for parts and I bought the Spit so I can work on something that actually runs. I will definitely get another basket case, I just need to develop my skills and expand my bank account first!

Attachments:
IMG_1089.JPG    47.3 KB
IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG    62.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Nice spit Andrew. A basket case "B" will always be a basket case, LOL!

Kudos to all who try, you have to put on your thinking caps to put one back together that you never saw come apart.

Easier now with this forum and lots of knowledgeable folks on here to help.

'S all for now
Vic

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster