Rebuilding Air Pump

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

drsmod Dan Smodic
Kalamazoo, MICHIGAN, USA   USA
I have a 75 TR6 and the PO had discounted the belt to the Air Pump and plug some hoses to unable the emissions setup. It's running fine but thinking of getting the car back to originality and was wondering if anyone has rebuilt their air pump. I've taken it off and did some disassembly but wanted to know more as to what I need to do.

Thanks in advance.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
I've heard of people turning their air pumps into low pressure superchargers.
Other than that, air pumps are trash can fodder IMHO.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
The PO likely did not remove the pump belt because the pump was not working. More likely he just did not want to waste engine power and fuel running it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
If your looking to put it back totally original go ahead. As stated the pump is probably fine. Back in the day, alot of people blamed emissions plumping for lack of power.
In fact it was the changes to the engine itself that attributes to the lack of power. Carbs, timing, cam and low compression heads etc. If you do put it all back you will loose a little power. Not to much, however it may be noticable.

Your NA tr6 from the show room was probably around 105hp, it's euro brothers around 135hp(I think). Depending on year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 12:01 PM by lef2wander.

N5329K Avatar
N5329K Silver Member Robin White
Pacific Grove, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500783 by clshore I've heard of people turning their air pumps into low pressure superchargers.
Other than that, air pumps are trash can fodder IMHO.

Not in California. They keep a whole lot of Spitfires legally on the road.
Robin

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500783 by clshore I've heard of people turning their air pumps into low pressure superchargers.

Lots of teenagers have had the idea that they can turn air pumps into this:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster