Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spitfire carb replacement
  This topic is about my 1978 Triumph Spitfire
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
I'm tired of struggling with these Strombergs. Does anyone know if a Weber 32/36 K675 will bolt up to a " 78 Spitfire? I don't really trust the reviews on Ebay. I found the same review by the same guy on two different carb purchases.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Dual Strombergs is better than a Weber.

Hang onto them.

To answer your question, yes, there's a bolt on Weber for the 78. You will see a major difference in the way the car drives and you will not be drinking gas.

They used a similar carb on the Pinto.

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
how are you struggling?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
I'm not a Weber fan, but if you go that route, make sure they are made in Spain, not China. There are a lot of complaints on this board about the Chinese Webers.

Also, check the board here for problems with excessive crankcase pressures and oil blowing out the dip stick. It's a problem that the Webers do not address. You have to be creative and find a solution.

Dual SUs, not dual Strombergs, are what you want on your car.

Marty

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
The factory Euro Spitfires used a dual HS4 SU setup.
All stock parts, available worldwide.
Weber DGV are Trash Can fodder IMHO.
If you want a Pinto, buy a Pinto.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Many people are happy with the mediocrity of the downdraft Webers offered by many Spitfire parts vendors, but they 'can' come with a plethora of problems. Personally I think, if it is indeed a 'propper' Spanish Webber, the carb is not so much to blame as the manifold/s that they come with.

How about you tell us the problem, rather than ask our oppinion on your solution?

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Pictures of your engine will be very helpful.

'S all for now
Vic

ras111 Avatar
ras111 Gold Member Richard Singerman
Dollard des Ormeaux, Quebec, Canada   CAN
When I bought my car over 30 years ago, the previous owner had put in a single HIF6. I was young and really knew nothing and switched to a Weber DGV. Was OK on the low end but lagged on the top end - the single HIF6 was better performing overall. When I got my car back on the road 4 years ago, I put in the dual HS4s. The single best investment made. In my opinion, you will be happier with this over the Weber DGV

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
If you have the single carb intake I would recommend the Mikuni HSR42
Its an easy bolt on and a much better carb... better than the webers IMHO

Ive built many duel kits but the single for the 1500 is planned for my next 1500 build with a/c

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

laverda1200 Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1501084 by 1147cc If you have the single carb intake I would recommend the Mikuni HSR42
Its an easy bolt on and a much better carb... better than the webers IMHO

Ive built many duel kits but the single for the 1500 is planned for my next 1500 build with a/c

laughing out loud, Douglas... a Mikuni HSR42 on a Spitfire motor, good on you! Out of idle curiosity (sorry, poor pun that just happened), what jetting set up do you wind up with?

the reason the Mikuni HSR 42 carb mention caught my eye is that is the carb I am using quite successfully on my 1979 Honda CBX 1050 (now 1300 cc+) six cylinder that I turbocharged with an old Rajay 300 series plain bearing turbo. Runs really well, after some dyno time figuring out carb setup, but not exactly an off the shelf solution.....

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
I dont recall each setup as the 6 or so that Ive done were all different and duels.. so a single would have to be toyed with each engine etc...

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
There are many people on this forum happy with their Weber conversion, but, only after significant work to make it livable.
That said, all those that have changed from Weber to twin SU , are absolutely delighted with the transformation.

Once in good condtion (A used set will usually need reconditioning) and set up, they will work flawlessly, and any problems are very easily solved as the carbs are so simple.
If they are worn out, it is hard to get a consistent performance. and it will often be difficult to achieve a good idle.

They are not expensive to fix

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1501150 by claytoncnc ...
If they are worn out, it is hard to get a consistent performance. and it will often be difficult to achieve a good idle.

A true statement for virtually ANY carb setup.

GottaSpit Avatar
GottaSpit Duncan A
Folsom, California, USA   USA
I looked hard at the Weber also.

I ended up getting a dual 1.25" SU manifold from ebay ($100, off a 1300), rebuilt ($66 kit) a set of SU's off a Mark II parts car (it was easy and simple), had to JB Weld a PCV valve ($65) onto the manifold (it just had a big hole there). Fired it up, set the carbs as per instructions, and man, I was smiling after the test run. Idles great, starts right up with a bit of choke, accelerates faster... very happy.

Manifold fit, but was scary-tight. I have the 4 to 1 header. SU4's might have been better, but I already had the SU2 carbs and linkage. If you do go to dual SUs, be sure to get the linkage pieces that hook them together.

Finally, there is a lot of chat out there about worn SU throttle shafts and what to do about it. Mine seemed ok so I didn't have to deal with that, but if you get a used set, you might end up shipping them off to have the throttle shafts re-bushed. Wait on the rebuild kit until you know. Also those pro rebuilder guys can polish them up nice and shiny!

Good luck!

Attachments:
Spit Carbs.jpg    40.3 KB
Spit Carbs.jpg

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1501180 by GottaSpit I looked hard at the Weber also.

I ended up getting a dual 1.25" SU manifold from ebay ($100, off a 1300), rebuilt ($66 kit) a set of SU's off a Mark II parts car (it was easy and simple), had to JB Weld a PCV valve ($65) onto the manifold (it just had a big hole there). Fired it up, set the carbs as per instructions, and man, I was smiling after the test run. Idles great, starts right up with a bit of choke, accelerates faster... very happy.

Manifold fit, but was scary-tight. I have the 4 to 1 header. SU4's might have been better, but I already had the SU2 carbs and linkage. If you do go to dual SUs, be sure to get the linkage pieces that hook them together.

Finally, there is a lot of chat out there about worn SU throttle shafts and what to do about it. Mine seemed ok so I didn't have to deal with that, but if you get a used set, you might end up shipping them off to have the throttle shafts re-bushed. Wait on the rebuild kit until you know. Also those pro rebuilder guys can polish them up nice and shiny!

Good luck!

The factory manifolds fit fine, but sometimes the connection where the HS4 manifold bolts to the earlier exhaust manifold needs to be clearance.
Some of the afterrmarket headers (hello Pacesetter) require a bit of 'adjustment' to the flange edges to fit, that's easy to do with a grinder.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster