'79 Spitfire replacement floor pan

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

aebreard Armand Breard
Monroe, Louisiana, USA   USA
Close to finishing the '79 Spitfire restoration. Major challenge left is to replace the driver's side floor pan, which was badly rusted out. I have cut it back and received a new pan from VB, but other than knowing it must be mig welded in, I don't seem to be able to fit it B/4 taking to the body shop. Anybody out there who has done this?
Thanks, Armand

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Pictures will help alot.

It is often best to cut the new pan to best fit the troublesome areas you wish to fix, rather than trying to fit the replacment part in its entirety.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
When I did my driver's floor I didn't remove any of the tunnel. Just to bottom rounded edge, then cut the new floor to fit like Tony says. The front kick portion can be a bear to fit if you remove that, mine was solid so it was an easy fit. The most annoying part is there aren't any bolt holes just ahead of the seats to bolt it down to the chassis.

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Is the whole floor shot or just the forward section?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-29 11:19 PM by Greg1835.

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
A couple of shots of mine when I replaced them. I did remove and install new cross members. The car was on a rotisserie, and the pans replaced from the bottom with a lapped seam down the center of the car. I hope they help.

Marty

Attachments:
Welding on rear bulkhead around radius rod mounts.jpg    40.9 KB
Welding on rear bulkhead around radius rod mounts.jpg

Drivers Floorboard.jpg    35.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
The rotisserie made it easy to replace the floor boards while the car was flipped upside down.jpg    50.1 KB
Cross member in place, getting ready to weld the rocker in place.jpg    49.4 KB
aebreard Armand Breard
Wow! These replies & photos are most helpful; I have to replace the entire floor & was puzzled what to do at the back under where the rear suspension bolts are, but now I think I see what to do

aebreard Armand Breard
The whole floor.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster