Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Some cars give you a little lever to do the lower lumbar.

If it's a single driver seat you can stuff it to your specs so every lump in the cushion has a corresponding dent in you.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chipkey101 Avatar
chipkey101 Billy Knight
Parrish, florida, USA   USA
Doug,

The upholsterer made the covers from scratch - no kit. He had to replace some of the foam also. Some people just have a talent for such things. It cost me less than if I were to do it myself.

MCJ1 Mike J
Chester, Cheshire, UK   GBR
New foams from Park Lane Classics transformed the comfort of my seats.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1500528 by chipkey101 Doug,

The upholsterer made the covers from scratch - no kit. He had to replace some of the foam also. Some people just have a talent for such things. It cost me less than if I were to do it myself.

At one point I thought of taking mine to a place that does boats. Tell them to feel free to take all the pictures they want.

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
Like Doug, I've been thinking about doing some metal surgery on my Miata seats. They're pretty comfortable but they're raised up in the back to clear the frame and that makes the seat bottom slope froward. That slope get uncomfortable after a while. I'm also 6' and I'd like to lower the seats as much as I can. Maybe even cut down the back a bit.
Lately I've been wondering if I can put the Miata foam in the original seats.

With any luck I'll get to the seats this winter.
Cheers

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1500686 by J.P.Rap Lately I've been wondering if I can put the Miata foam in the original seats.

Probably easier than my tendency to see everything through a welding helmet.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500696 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1500686 by J.P.Rap Lately I've been wondering if I can put the Miata foam in the original seats.

Probably easier than my tendency to see everything through a welding helmet.

HA-HA! I resemble that remarkthumbs up

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
It really is a personal thing. I don't find stock Spitfire seats to be uncomfortable or significantly less supportive than Miata seats - which I also have. Of course, I have a friend who has owned Spitfires since they were new and he vehemently disagrees (he was one of the first to install Miata seats in a Spit). I've done 3-day tours in my Spitfire and don't think they're that bad.

Oddly enough, I mounted my Miata seats into my classic Mini. In that case, they were a vast improvement over the blown-out stock 1964 seats.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
I sure am glad that I am 5' 9". I fit in my Spitfire very well with the Miata seats! LOL!

I remember the guy Edd on "Wheeler Dealer" when they redid a 1500 Spitfire. His head was above the windscreen/windshield and was wearing goggles! And, that was with the original seats.

In reply to # 1500686 by J.P.Rap Like Doug, I've been thinking about doing some metal surgery on my Miata seats. They're pretty comfortable but they're raised up in the back to clear the frame and that makes the seat bottom slope froward. That slope get uncomfortable after a while. I'm also 6' and I'd like to lower the seats as much as I can. Maybe even cut down the back a bit.
Lately I've been wondering if I can put the Miata foam in the original seats.

With any luck I'll get to the seats this winter.
Cheers

smellsofbikes John B
Arvada, COLORADO, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Queen Anne's Revenge"
That was a tremendously helpful pile of responses. That makes me want to go ahead with the park lane *and* put in a lumbar support bladder while rebuilding the seats. Maybe split the foam and slide it into place.

I'd like headrests because I'm worried about trying to keep the car as safe as possible. The stock Spitfire ones aren't bad, although if/when I rebuild the seats, I'm planning on adding some structure to the back so the headrest can run up a bit higher. (And if I'm rebuilding the headrests with new foam/covers, I'll likely put speakers in there like the Miata's, because my wife really likes loud music.)

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
John,

I don't think there is enough room for speakers in the Spitfire head rest. Just put a couple big speakers behind the seats, add a 500 watt amplifier, and a Big Bass Kicker and she will be happy!!!hot smiley

smellsofbikes John B
Arvada, COLORADO, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Queen Anne's Revenge"
I already have the *big* speakers right behind the seats.
Because of my job, I have access to some really interesting speakers and speaker driver chips, so I can fit speakers into those little headrests. I also think sometimes about making my own headrests. Seats with all those pleats and stuff are difficult, but headrests look like a much easier project for learning how to upholster.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
That sounds pretty interesting John, hope you post your results. smileys with beer

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Triumph TR4A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links