Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cjgbradley Avatar
cjgbradley chris b
lubbock, texas, USA   USA
So I bought a new gasket from VB...was way to large....So bought an OE from SpitBits, tight fit...yeah! But here is where I'm lost, I put the larger side on the inside, which is what I read should do. But I have two interior lips to put my pull rope in, tried the inner (closest to the windscreen) that didn't work well, and then tried the outer....now granted Conan (my son) showed up and thought we didn't the rope to pull over the lip and pulled it out....So now I'm lost, I think the seal is oriented right on the windshield, but which groove on the inside do I want to but the rope to pull the lip in? Don't plan on the outside trim.....my thumbs hurt....Lol! I can't really find the answer, I've done a bunch of VW windscreens with no issues. This one has me second guessing everything....Help!!!

Thanks, C

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cjgbradley Avatar
cjgbradley chris b
So no wisdom guys?

C

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Sorry no responses yet but I guess most of the guys are busy today, all are a little thin on responses. I have never done one of these windshields so I am not good help. Use the advanced help option at the top of the page and look for windshield rubber or something along that line. I know there are several discussion on the subject.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, Florida, USA   USA
Guessing this goes on the square tail. You might want to post a pic of the glass with the gasket, to be sure you have the glass in the right grove. For the square tail, you are going to want to put the trim on BEFORE you put the glass in the frame. If you do that, you will know you have the right groove, or the trim won't work.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible

Attachments:
100_2741.JPG    47 KB
100_2741.JPG

100_2749.JPG    44.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA

cjgbradley Avatar
cjgbradley chris b
Here's a pic of the two channels?

Attachments:
IMG_9425.JPG    35.3 KB
IMG_9425.JPG

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Chris,
If you look at the link Marty posted as the top of the windshield you will see that there is only one lip on the inside to be pulled over the edge of the frame. It seems you may have the gasket on inside out to get an extra channel.
All the best,
Paul

GottaSpit Avatar
GottaSpit Duncan A
Folsom, California, USA   USA
If its any consolation, this job was really hard for my dad and I as well. When we pushed down on the windshield, it pinched closed the channel holding the the rope. Also, the fit was really tight, especially around the corners. We (I) were headed towards despair, but my dad is an engineer! We ended up using a big strap with a winch type lever on one end to hold the windshield down, and put pieces of popcicle sticks every 6 inches or so in the channel to keep it open under the pressure. We worked the lip of the rubber over the windshield frame from popstick to popstick by pulling on the rope and using a plastic lever-type tool, removing the popstick pieces as we went along. I think we did the bottom edge first, as it was the hardest mess with. Wish we had taken pictures!

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I found weed eater trimmer line works well.

gtspit Ed B
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
Very interesting point Doug. Never bought of that, but makes sense. What gage?
thumbs up
smileys with beer
Ed.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500008 by gtspit Very interesting point Doug. Never bought of that, but makes sense. What gage?
thumbs up
smileys with beer
Ed.

The stuff is pretty unbreakable in any size. I used .065.

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
My wife and I installed the windshield in my '80 a couple years ago and the suggestions and pictures given above are excellent. The two pictures and write-up given by Matthew show exactly what to do, and we used a chord similar to what Matthew and Chris used.

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

racer490 Jerry Bryant
Palm Harbor, USA   USA
I've done a couple. Used 1/4 inch nylon I think and a plastic tool to get the corners to pop out. Lots of KY jelly it is water soluble. I used a VB gasket which fit perfect. Put gasket on windshield then coed in seal I had the loose ends cross in the middle of the dash area. A helper pushed GENTLY on the outside while pulling the cord. Then teased out the corners. Took about 2 or 3 tries.

cjgbradley Avatar
cjgbradley chris b
Slow to reply, went with the deeper groove. Seemed to make sense, not enough meat around the other to pull it in (still not sure what that groove is for). All went well, using 5/32 cord all lubed up until the middle of the top frame. Got extremely tight, and wound up tearing that part of the gasket. So new one on the way, maybe the weedwacker line is a better plan? Also noticed that the plastic\vinyl trim around the frame was extremely brittle, thinking this may have helped cut the gasket....should I cut this back? Thoughts....gonna give it another go this weekend.

Thanks, C

cjgbradley Avatar
cjgbradley chris b
Waiting on the new gasket, found some .095 weedwacker line, I had laying around. Has this worked for anybody? At 73.00 bucks a pop, trying not to tear another gasket!!

c

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links