TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

I scored!! Massive clean out of Barn!! Tons NOS and three spits to boot!!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gtspit Ed B
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
Ok, I'm putting my shopping list together....

Dear Santa,
Aside from the wire-harness for my Triumphs, I would also want an O.D. system for the Spitfire this Christmas..thumbs upthumbs up
smileys with beer
Ed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
triumphmike mike feddock
san carlos, ca, USA   USA
I love these kinds of stories! Congratulations.

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
I will assume we are talking Spitfire parts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
Wow... Nice score! BTW, 18411 isn't all that far away from me. grinning smiley

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-28 12:42 PM by IanF.

triumph74tr6 Avatar
triumph74tr6 Chad Jester
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1964 Triumph Sports 6 "Speed 6"
1968 Triumph TR250 "Gene"
1971 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Ken"
1974 MG MGB GT "MiGiBiGiT"    & more
VERY interested in the Alloy wheels.

Growe58 Avatar
Growe58 Greg Rowe
Hatfield, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500310 by IanF Wow... Nice score! BTW, 18411 isn't all that far away from me. grinning smiley

Haha! I was thinking the same thing, Ian! I would actually pay admission to wander around the "Triumph Parts Museum". Of course, if I show up in a rental moving truck, best that the OP frisks me on the way out.

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
Well, Chad spoke up first, so I bow to his initiative, but add me to the list of folks who might be interested in the Alloy Wheels. Unique design. I like that.

mepilotunot Avatar
mepilotunot Gold Member Aaron Perry
18411, USA   USA
Once I get everything here to include the other spitfires and have a chance to get a decent inventory of what I have and what I "need" then the museum gift shop be open for buisness .lol

RPJ Avatar
RPJ Rick J
Santa Fe, NM, USA   USA
Congrats, Aaron. Nice score, and very generous of you to share the bounty with other Triumph fanatics once inventoried! Have fun with the time vault!!

In reply to # 1500427 by mepilotunot Once I get everything here to include the other spitfires and have a chance to get a decent inventory of what I have and what I "need" then the museum gift shop be open for buisness .lol

billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
All I can say is WOW!

Does that D type OD go on a single rail transmission or a later three rail? The earlier OD transmissions had the switch on the steering column.

cobrapatrol Avatar
cobrapatrol Gold Member Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CALIFORNIA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500313 by triumph74tr6 VERY interested in the Alloy wheels.

I agree! Aaron, are there any signs of who the manufacturer of those alloy wheels was?

Its a great thread, getting to experience such a treasure trove. Happy holidays!

Jim

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA

frandrum Frank D
Warminster, PA, USA   USA
Hey Aaron,

Since I grew up in Scranton, I think I should stand high in the pecking order when the sale commences.
Congrats on the big score.
By the way, where did the seller race his stable?

Frank

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1500582 by billspit All I can say is WOW!

Does that D type OD go on a single rail transmission or a later three rail? The earlier OD transmissions had the switch on the steering column.

D Type ODs are for three rail transmissions (pre-1974). There's no single rail gearbox mainshaft with the correct splines to engage with the D Type, only for the J type.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 10:39 AM by grumpicus.

billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500615 by grumpicus

D Type ODs are for three rail transmissions (pre-1974). There's no single rail gearbox mainshaft with the correct splines to engage with the D Type, only for the J type.

The shifter knob with the switch in it through me off.

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1500638 by billspit
In reply to # 1500615 by grumpicus

The shifter knob with the switch in it through me off.

The position of the overdrive switch moved to the top of the gear shifter with the introduction of the Mk4 Spit in 1971, so it was fitted to models with both the D Type and J Type overdrives. The difference was that with the D Type, it operated a relay, because of the high initial current to the solenoid when overdrive was switched on. With the J Type, the solenoid only draws about 2 Amps, so no need for a relay. Note also, the shift pattern shown on the top of the plastic cap is different for the single rail and three rail transmissions.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links