Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Those living in areas where there are tractors at the local Pick Ur Part might not find a beemer.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
But you just can't substitue a hinge that doesn't mimic the Spitfire's pivot that moves the bonnet away from the lower valence. The hinge needs to move the bonnet up and forward, right?

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1499830 by Fictioneer But you just can't substitue a hinge that doesn't mimic the Spitfire's pivot that moves the bonnet away from the lower valence. The hinge needs to move the bonnet up and forward, right?

Indeed. The hinge shown has a pivot point that travels as it opens.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
The old alligator hood hinges did move the hood forward as the front moved up, unfortunately that is bas-akwards when you turn them around. I would think it best to grab a CAD system, set parameters and design from scratch. If you don't have a CAD system, it can be done on a bench top with paint stir sticks, wire nails and Popsicle sticks but it will be a brain buster that old fashioned way.
How about just hinging at the back like Frogeyes were.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1499854 by Wolfcreek Steve The old alligator hood hinges did move the hood forward as the front moved up, unfortunately that is bas-akwards when you turn them around. I would think it best to grab a CAD system, set parameters and design from scratch. If you don't have a CAD system, it can be done on a bench top with paint stir sticks, wire nails and Popsicle sticks but it will be a brain buster that old fashioned way.

You will notice that if you turn an 'alligator hood hinge' upside down when you mount it to a Spitfire style hood, rather than 'turning it around',
that it will in fact move the hood forward and away from the bulkhead as it is raised from the closed position, ie precisely the desired operation.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1499860 by clshore
In reply to # 1499854 by Wolfcreek Steve The old alligator hood hinges did move the hood forward as the front moved up, unfortunately that is bas-akwards when you turn them around. I would think it best to grab a CAD system, set parameters and design from scratch. If you don't have a CAD system, it can be done on a bench top with paint stir sticks, wire nails and Popsicle sticks but it will be a brain buster that old fashioned way.

You will notice that if you turn an 'alligator hood hinge' upside down when you mount it to a Spitfire style hood, rather than 'turning it around',
that it will in fact move the hood forward and away from the bulkhead as it is raised from the closed position, ie precisely the desired operation.

I suppose you could come up with a plate between the fenders and mount the bottoms directly to the frame.

I guess you could start there and work back.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1499869 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1499860 by clshore

I suppose you could come up with a plate between the fenders and mount the bottoms directly to the frame.

I guess you could start there and work back.
Doug,
You could do that, or you could make a bracket to attach the new hinge to the same place as the bonnet hinge tube on each side. An advantage to using the bonnet hinge tube or its mounting points is you know it will support the bonnet. Using other spots might lead to distortion because they can't handle the weight.
All the best,
Paul

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
If I was to do this, that is where I'd go. Only makes sense, out of the way of everything.

Doug,
You could do that, or you could make a bracket to attach the new hinge to the same place as the bonnet hinge tube on each side. An advantage to using the bonnet hinge tube or its mounting points is you know it will support the bonnet. Using other spots might lead to distortion because they can't handle the weight.
All the best,
Paul
[/quote]

'S all for now
Vic

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
I remember when gull wing doors was the craze.

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, wa, USA   USA
Look at the hinge from the hood of a BMW e30. They first open forward and up away from valence then will tilt forward. They are over engineered and can handle the entire bonnet weight.

Jumpy Avatar
Jumpy Arthur Jump
Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK   GBR
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "The Mutt"
Thanks for the helps everyone. Verry helpful but id say beamer bonnet hing is the way to go cheap and most come with struts aswell https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E60-BONNET-HINGES-AND-GAS-STRUTS/232484088393?hash=item362121aa49:g:YmEAAOSwJx1ZtboM

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
That E30 bonnet system is really nifty as it folds down and then slides/tilts into position, but it has a bit more hardware and I think will take a bit more space.

The E60 certainly looks simpler and if it can take the weight, I'd say a great option.

Images for when the add disappears....

Edit; First image borrowed from "Schnitzel" on Bimmerforums.com. He sure has done some nice work on that car.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1803762-My-88-Henna-m3-restoration-w-EVO-III

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-29 07:21 AM by Manana.

Attachments:
BMW E30 Bonnet Hinge.jpg    89.5 KB
BMW E30 Bonnet Hinge.jpg

BMW E60 Bonnet Hinge.jpg    82 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Where on a Spitfire might these be attached, and do they require the center mounting bar to properly function?

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500470 by Fictioneer Where on a Spitfire might these be attached, and do they require the center mounting bar to properly function?

That's the tricky part, you have to find/build the correct place.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
I'm thinking there has to be a simpler solution. Some sort of pivoting hinge mounted inboard. Perhaps on the rear portion of the original bracket where it is welded to the front bar. I've been going over some designs in my head,and I think I've figured something out, but you're right, Steve, the final version will have to be built and tested -- unless, I suppose, a computer program builds it virtually, but that requires certain skills I definitely lack, and software I don't own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-29 12:17 PM by Fictioneer.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster