Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500494 by Fictioneer I'm thinking there has to be a simpler solution. Some sort of pivoting hinge mounted inboard. Perhaps on the rear portion of the original bracket where it is welded to the front bar. I've been going over some designs in my head,and I think I've figured something out, but you're right, Steve, the final version will have to be built and tested -- unless, I suppose, a computer program builds it virtually, but that requires certain skills I definitely lack, and software I don't own.

Actually, I'm thinking classic Cardboard Aided Design.

You would have to mock up the frame and the bonnet where the pivot takes place keeping in mind the nose needs to arc forward as it tilts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-29 07:57 PM by Doug in Vegas.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Didn't Saab 900s have a similar hinge mechanism?

planebow Robert Howard
Kalispell, Montana, USA   USA
Some of the Buicks used the raise and tilt also. Might be easier to find in wrecking yards.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Just ran across this video, which may be helpful:

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500870 by Fictioneer Just ran across this video, which may be helpful:

Mounted much higher than expected.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Great find Fictioneer! thumbs up I tried searching for more stuff by that guy to hopefully see how the front ended up; couldn't find anything related. I'd really like to see how it would look without the Overriders.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Determining the virtual pivot center is very similar to how suspension design determines roll centers.
It's no accident that the stock Spitfire pivot is located so far forward.
Anyone contemplating this kind of mod would do well to model the virtual pivot location, and mount
the hinge accordingly, rather than blindly following the tyranny of doing what 'looks right', ie level
and parallel to the ground.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links