AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jumpy Avatar
Jumpy Arthur Jump
Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK   GBR
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "The Mutt"
Trying to think of the best way to get the pivot hidden behind the line of the fenders on the newer style bonnet.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
If I understand your question, to really hide the hinge, you will have to build a pantograph style hinge similar to what used to be used on alligator hoods. Have fun designing it.

Jumpy Avatar
Jumpy Arthur Jump
Alligator hood?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1499569 by Jumpy Alligator hood?

Arthur,
Alligator hood is American. It means a bonnet that opens at the front similar to the jaws of a crocodile.
Steve is right, though, some sort of linkage would have to be arranged in the space between the grille and the radiator. You might find a bonnet hinge on some other car that could be adapted to the job.
All the best,
Paul

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
American car hoods, even though massive by world standards, are still lighter than the Spitfire bonnet, which also includes fenders, etc.
So I'd look for a donor hood hinge mechanism from the biggest American boat you can find, maybe a Caddy or Lincoln from 60's or 70's.
Don't discount the need to provide sliding and swing clearance for every part of the bonnet to clear the main tub, tires, radiator, etc.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Years ago I saw where someone came up with a design for the 1500 where you unlatch the side hinges and then pilled a release lever and the whole hood would raise up about six inches or so and then tilt forward.

The stock hinge location was open for sport lights or whatever.

Closing the hood required you push down on the nose until a latch caught.

Maybe someone can find it. Had to be 20 years ago.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
How would copying the XKE hinge work on our cars? I've not examined one closely, but the whole mechanism is tucked inside the bonnet. It might just be that the bonnet is longer in that area to better hide the hinge.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1499616 by clshore American car hoods, even though massive by world standards, are still lighter than the Spitfire bonnet, which also includes fenders, etc.
So I'd look for a donor hood hinge mechanism from the biggest American boat you can find, maybe a Caddy or Lincoln from 60's or 70's.
Don't discount the need to provide sliding and swing clearance for every part of the bonnet to clear the main tub, tires, radiator, etc.

I remember seeing guys driving around with the hood removed to expose the engine of there hot rod. But the hinges were sticking up in the air.

Looked kind of goofy.

Attachments:
U.jpg    48.1 KB
U.jpg

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1499637 by Fictioneer How would copying the XKE hinge work on our cars? I've not examined one closely, but the whole mechanism is tucked inside the bonnet. It might just be that the bonnet is longer in that area to better hide the hinge.
Doug,
I don't think the E-type hood hinge is going to be very useful. The E-type hood doesn't open very far because there is a lot of hood in front of the pivot point. The hood would hit the ground if the hinge doesn't limit the angle it can open to. For a full hood and fender unit like the Spitfire's it is the other end of the accessibility spectrum, removing the hood makes lots of sense if you are going to work on the E-type power plant for hours.
All the best,
Paul

TinDrum Herald Ma
cologne, NRW, Germany   DEU
There are lots of examples on interweb:

I think some used the hinges from a bimmer.

Herald

Attachments:
Spitfire Mk 2 cut down Picton-Green-Spitfire 1.jpg    27.2 KB
Spitfire Mk 2 cut down Picton-Green-Spitfire 1.jpg

ebay411543.jpg    36.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ebay411548.jpg    65 KB
Jumpy Avatar
Jumpy Arthur Jump
Thats perfect i dont suppose you know any preferably cheap cars with those hinges and just got a fibreglass bonnet so doesnt need to be strong. and tindrum where did you find that last one, looks like what i was planning but cant really see it.
Cheers.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Welllllll, there's something I never thought a worthwhile effort.... and now you had to go and show a great example of just one more little refinement our cars could take.

I've always thought that the Euro under-riders up front were such an improvement that I never realized how good the car could look without even them there.

I too would like to see more about that, especially one with the bumper still on.

Heck maybe there's a way to keep the springs from those hinges as well and I could get rid of my struts.

Thanks for posting guys.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

TinDrum Herald Ma
I tried to blow up the last picture detail.
But as i already mentioned the bonnet hinges from a BMW are used a lot for flip fronts.

Herald

Attachments:
blowUp.jpg    28.7 KB
blowUp.jpg

bmw2.jpg    55.3 KB
bmwhinges.jpg    53 KB
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Which BMW model do the hinges come off of?

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

TinDrum Herald Ma
Those are actually e36 BMW (3 series) boot lid hinges,
But there are lots of others. For example Audi A6, etc.

You have to look for yourself what is available.

Herald

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster