Thrust washers?

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1498873 by Lizzard
In reply to # 1498813 by luckygalnj Travel on the clutch pedal feels normal.
Stuck clutch syndrome .
I've had success by getting the rear wheels off the ground , starting up the motor , revving up the motor , stepping on the clutch and then jabbing at the brake pedal . The brakes will stress the clutch as they try to slow the motor . Rev / jab , rev / jab , rev / jab , over and over till the clutch breaks free .

thumbs upthumbs up

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Just curious how this 'stuck clutch' happens. Does the friction disc stick on the input splines of the trans? Or the disc to the flywheel? Doesn't change what needs to happen (get it UN-stuck!), just curious.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
https://www.google.com/search?q=stuck+clutch+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

"When your MG is stored for some length of time it may result in the clutch disk being stuck firmly to the flywheel and/or pressure plate so it will not disengage ..."

"When a manual transmission vehicle is placed in storage the fiber of the clutch disc is held captive, under considerable force, between the flywheel face and the ..."

"I have had problems with the clutch sticking to the flywheel after the car has sat for a while ... Once upon a time I too had a stuck clutch after a winters hibernation."

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Thanks for that Lizzard.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
If it is hydraulic, the clutch pedal will be real soft/mushy feeling, if a stuck clutch plate, the clutch pedal will feel normal.
I've unstuck the plate by driving it slowly and mashing the brakes with the clutch pedal to the floor. If it doesn't break loose at 10 mph go to 15 etc.

Smoothbrain Avatar
Smoothbrain Silver Member Thomas Nelson
Bettendorf, Iowa, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498813 by luckygalnj So... Car has been garaged for 6-8 weeks. We get a deluge of acorns and its like hailstones if they hit your car, let alone your head!

When I parked it, it was fine.
It was cold yesterday morning, in the 40's. Car started hard and ran rough but it was running and would have warmed up and settled down. Tried to back it out of the garage to avoid exhaust in the garage and....no gears. Zilch. Nada. Cannot move shifter into any gear.

There are no leaks anywhere and the fluid reservoir is full. Travel on the clutch pedal feels normal.

Any ideas? Where to look next?

Mine did the same following clutch slave and master replacement. Shift easily with engine off, no movement out of neutral with engine running.
Re-bled clutch. No change.
At suggestion of someone here, elevated rear end and re-bled. Got bubbles immediately! Must have been trapped right at the slave bleed.
Closed it up, works fine.
BTW, changed to DOT 5 with parts replacement.
Does DOT 5 flow differently?

Tom

Thomas Nelson
Bettendorf, IA

1970 Spitfire Mk III

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
DoT 5 can retain what I call micro bubbles, after a while they can group and form larger, more visible bubbless that are easier to purge.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I had a leak with DOT5 that vanished upon changing to DOT4.

alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
I have had my hydraulics burst and drain down into the Spit during a first cold snap.. but it was very very cold. So do check the fluid levels.

I have also had my Spit get "stuck" in gear after sitting for a long period, though that was several years ago.
When that occurred I put it in reverse and forced it out of the barn until it freed itself.

Never had it get stuck and remain so.

Cheers, Alan

Check on the photos every now and then... all free for download, in all sizes.

The British Motorcar Festival Bristol RI:

Photographs - For your computer

A BMCNE Cruise:

Portsmouth & Aquidnik Island, RI

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
MCJ1 Mike J
Chester, Cheshire, UK   GBR
I'd be worried about breaking something else using the method employed on that Alfa.

I prefer a gentler approach by getting the engine nice and hot, switching off, putting into gear, jamming the clutch pedal down and then rocking the car backwards and forwards via a front wheel. Always worked for me.

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Poughkeepsie, NY, USA   USA
I was talking to Kas Kastner, Triumph racing guru back in the day, about this when it happened to one of my Spits after winter storage, He said is was fairly common, when they were new, to arrive in port after being shipped from Britain in this condition. The salt air would cause the clutch disk to stick to the flywheel. SOP back then was start in gear, drive off the ship with the clutch pedal pressed and keep hitting the parking brake until it broke free.

For my car, I jacked up the back end (on stands), started it in gear and kept hitting the brakes (clutch pedal pushed in) until it freed up. No problems after that, the same clutch is in the car for 5 years now.

mike h

luckygalnj Avatar
luckygalnj Silver Member Martha S
Cherry Hill, NJ, USA   USA
FIXED IT!!!!

Thanks to all who offered advice/suggestions.
Today is a beautiful day - not cold so I gave it another go.

In the garage...
Plan was to push/roll it out into the street, put it in First gear then drive with my foot on the clutch and periodically slam on the brakes.

Once I sat in the car I thought - may as well start it up and try to at least get it in reverse and maybe lurch it out of the garage - my husband-helper was still inside so something to do while I waited for my helper-pusher

In neutral - trying to get reverse was not easy - thought i had it, finally. Then with foot on clutch, started the engine. let off the clutch slightly and big thunk and stall Guess what? It had been in THIRD and I just broke it free. Happy accident - so I got it into reverse then started it again and backed out of the garage.

Let it warm up in the driveway for a few more minutes - running rough. Then took it out around the neighborhood nice and easy to finish warm up and run through all gears. Headed a bit further afield to a divided road so I could check out the OD and all is as it should be once again.

Thank you Forum! My first experience with a "stuck clutch" and we worked through it together :-)

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Glad it worked out. This is one tidbit that should be on a list of 'must know' items. Just hope I remember it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster