AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Dan,
There is at least one more variant on that switch with brown, brown/blue, red/green, and blue wires. The brown supplies the flash. Brown/blue supplies the normal lighting contacts. red/green is parking lights out. And blue is headlight out to the floor dip switch.
I think there is another with the flash out blue/white going to the high beam wiring.
All the best,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Dan, you are lucky, as the contact points in your switch are very positive. On the late switch on the stack the contacts are so small, it's a wonder the lights even come one, worse than the switch on the dash, which was a joke.
Lots of headlight wiring harnesses out there with relays and fuses. What is original will work, so not pushing a change.
I have installed a couple and using the column switch just to throw the relay.
Good luck.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1500703 by spitfire50 Dan,
There is at least one more variant on that switch with brown, brown/blue, red/green, and blue wires. The brown supplies the flash. Brown/blue supplies the normal lighting contacts. red/green is parking lights out. And blue is headlight out to the floor dip switch.
I think there is another with the flash out blue/white going to the high beam wiring.
All the best,
Paul

Paul, any idea of year or specific market area where it may have been used? I have about 20 diagrams that are listed in their source books merely as Mk2, or Mk 3 , and even just a 1147 Spitfire, so I will look through those and see if I find something with the outlet/contacts you describe. (I didn't peruse the4 GT6 variety either)

Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Dan,
The one I got that from was an old TRF flyer with both Mk1 and Mk2 Spitfire diagrams in it. The diagrams and the legends are mixed, so the Mk2 diagram appears opposite the Mk1 legend, and the Mk1 diagram opposite the Mk2 legend. The one I cited was Mk2. Mk1 differs in having brown/black as the supply for flash to pass.
I can also confirm the variant with the blue/white out for the flash. I have one of those switches in my retired parts stash. So that one has brown = flash supply, brown/blue = main supply, blue = headlights out, red/green = parking lights out, and blue/white = flash out.
There do seem to be plenty of variations on this switch. It is hard to believe any savings on the next switch paid for the redesign of the harness to suit it.
All the best,
Paul

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
Looking through some of my not-so-well identified diagrams today I found a couple of other variations in wire colors and connections. maybe I found me a winter job to play with. I might have to do some artistry and see what I come up with for comparisons.
I think a couple of the different ones were non-US and non UK, versions so they will add some interest.

Thanks,
Dan

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Dan,
I may have a German market Mk2 Spitfire one to tell about soon. It seems to be the basic column dip switch so we may already know how it is wired.
All the best,
Paul

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
Yeah, One of the interesting things the diagrams seem to show is that even though the switches do different things in some cases, the physical design of the switches may be identical. Or at least the schematic of the switch itself is the same.
Dan

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Dan,
Well I got it out. It is a four wire switch.Lucas number 35859A. Brown is flash supply, brown/red is headlight supply, blue/red is low beam out, and blue/white is both flash out and high beam out. Normal except for the brown/red feed for the headlights. Why that isn't at least partly blue I don't pretend to understand.
All the best,
Paul

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
In reply to # 1500928 by spitfire50 Dan,
Well I got it out. It is a four wire switch.Lucas number 35859A. Brown is flash supply, brown/red is headlight supply, blue/red is low beam out, and blue/white is both flash out and high beam out. Normal except for the brown/red feed for the headlights. Why that isn't at least partly blue I don't pretend to understand.
All the best,
Paul

One thing I have found so far in perusing the 20 or so different diagrams is that for 71 there was a change that shows a blue wire being the primary feed from the main light switch but then shows a connector near the switch and the color changing from blue N to NR, brown/red. They show that for 71 and 72 but then for 73 go back to blue all the way. All the remaining diagrams up through 79 continue to show the solid blue wire. Cant tell for the 80 as I only have one of the unusual Haynes diagrams for that year and it does not show any color as the wire setup is too short.
Going backward, the 64-65 shows it starting as brown and then changing to a blown/blue. The 67 shows as a brown/red all the way. 69 shows same. The 70 shows blue all the way. Then the change as stated above for the 71.
I am still working on noting other differences but that it the first series I have gone through. Keep in mind I am only addressing that main feed wire right now.
Dan

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
That extra wire must be to flash the brights.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
Hey all, I have attached a document that I put together the last couple of days about the column switch and some of the wiring options I have found. I probably should do a separate entry for it but wanted to attach it here as this is where we have been talking about it.
I tried to explain what I looked at, what I found, and what the wires are. One of the types I have listed is based on a description that Paul M posted above. the others are from my diagrams.
I ask on the paper that if anyone has other setups they can substantiate from experience or other diagrams that you share in a format similar to what I used so we can see how they compare.

Hopefully we can help out some newbies, and, maybe educate the rest of us about what we really have/
Dan

Attachments:
Spitfire column mounted SW.pdf    277.3 KB

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Impressive.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster