AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, WI, USA   USA
Was thinking of the Honda, oops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-28 08:57 PM by Falkon.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500405 by regnaston
then what is 38 for?

38 "Steering column light Switch"

I bet Paul Mugford answered that in post #6.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1500407 by grubscrew
then what is 38 for?

Dave,
Bingo! 100%
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
regnaston Dale Sanger
Belle River, ON, Canada   CAN
1965 Triumph Spitfire "Frankenspit"
In reply to # 1500437 by spitfire50
then what is 38 for?

Dave,
Bingo! 100%
Paul

OK I am confused grinning smiley

So it has both the column switch and a floor switch???

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
In reply to # 1500439 by regnaston
In reply to # 1500437 by spitfire50
then what is 38 for?

Dave,
Bingo! 100%
Paul

OK I am confused grinning smiley

So it has both the column switch and a floor switch???

Yes, the column is essentially an on-off device only and the floor is dip only.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Dave,
You have it right. The column switch selects off, parking lights, or headlights and parking lights. When the headlights are on, the floor switch selects low beam or high beam. The switch on the dash only operates the instrument lights. It is only live when the column switch selects either parking lights or headlights and parking lights.
Pulling the column stalk toward the wheel operates the "flash to pass" function.
All the best,
Paul

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1500544 by spitfire50 Dave,
You have it right. The column switch selects off, parking lights, or headlights and parking lights. When the headlights are on, the floor switch selects low beam or high beam. The switch on the dash only operates the instrument lights. It is only live when the column switch selects either parking lights or headlights and parking lights.
Pulling the column stalk toward the wheel operates the "flash to pass" function.
All the best,
Paul

While I understand that the original question did not necessarily ask the question that we finally got around to giving a good detailed answer for (good job Paul) , and newbies to a specific year car may not know exactly which question to ask, it seems we may have collectively done a better job of getting the info to DALE that he needed. I apologize for my failure to provide the same info back when I first responded - I knew this answer at that time but just assumed more than I should have.
Now I think we need to help out a bit more with the "which wire goes where" issue, if he still needs that help.

Let us know.
Dan

(ok, ok, typo fixed)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 01:05 PM by Yellowhawk Valley.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
In reply to # 1500564 by Yellowhawk Valley ... it seems we may have collectively done a better job of getting the info to Dave that he needed....

Lol, it was DALE not Dave that kept thinking the headlight dimmer switch was on the column!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

regnaston Dale Sanger
Belle River, ON, Canada   CAN
1965 Triumph Spitfire "Frankenspit"
In reply to # 1500576 by grubscrew
In reply to # 1500564 by Yellowhawk Valley ... it seems we may have collectively done a better job of getting the info to Dave that he needed....

Lol, it was DALE not Dave that kept thinking the headlight dimmer switch was on the column!

I was going to ask "Who is Dave" grinning smiley

Thanks everyone... since there is floor switch (nor is there a mount on the pans that were installed) I might put a push button that would do the same function on the dash and wire in the column to do it's original feature (now that I understand Lucas' wiring plan for that part)

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500580 by regnaston
In reply to # 1500576 by grubscrew

I was going to ask "Who is Dave" grinning smiley

Dave's not here.

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
[/quote]

Dave's not here.
[/quote]

Who doesn't like Cheech and Chong!!

Marty

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
OK, typo is fixed, but there is still a "Dave" here. Just not the person I/we were assisting. smileys with beer

Quote: Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Dan

claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
For further information (hopefully not confusion), there appears to be a 4th type of switch.
My very early car has 2 position dash switch (lights on, lights + dash lights on), with 3 position column switch, (sidelights, low beam, high beam) but with NO flash to pass function.
All my other Spits have had Flash, as did the 2 Lotus and the Canstel that all use the Spitfire based switches.

I had no idea that Spits ever came with a floor mounted switch.
They are an abomination, impossible to operate if you are 'busy' dealing with braking and downchanging into a corner, which is just the time you need to dip, with someone appearing around that corner.

I had a much missed 1970 Falcon GT, and that floor mounted switch was about the only thing I did not like about that car

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
In reply to # 1500647 by claytoncnc For further information (hopefully not confusion), there appears to be a 4th type of switch.
My very early car has 2 position dash switch (lights on, lights + dash lights on), with 3 position column switch, (sidelights, low beam, high beam) but with NO flash to pass function.
All my other Spits have had Flash, as did the 2 Lotus and the Canstel that all use the Spitfire based switches.

I had no idea that Spits ever came with a floor mounted switch.
They are an abomination, impossible to operate if you are 'busy' dealing with braking and downchanging into a corner, which is just the time you need to dip, with someone appearing around that corner.

I had a much missed 1970 Falcon GT, and that floor mounted switch was about the only thing I did not like about that car
Marcus,
To the best of my knowledge the floor mounted switch was used on the North American market cars only. Other markets got some variation on the column dip switch.
All the best,
Paul

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
I was just looking through a pile of diagrams and have 4 that are specific to the Mk1 and 2 cars, part US and part UK. The European book diagrams do not show any floor switch. The Haynes manual, that does not title the diagrams as US or not US, seems to indicate an option like Marcus describes, but which lights go on with which switch may depend on the positions of the two switches. (Some of the Haynes diagrams seem to have wires feeding back to themselves in the switch so I am not secure in using them).
And, some of the switch diagrams give no hint as to what circuits are activated at the same time, or not.
But from first look, it appears that all the US diagrams show the same setup for Mk1 and Mk2 cars and then the change with the Mk3 to no floor switch.

I wish I had a magic wand so I could take them all and design them as similar layouts for comparisons, then extract just the lighting circuits to cut the clutter. I just don't have the time to do it otherwise.
Dan

Ok, I found a little time to do a little work. Attached is a .pdf showing 4 different column light switch diagrams. I think the actual wiring of the switch only has two basic setups but what happens as a result of the switch to and from those terminals may vary. That is the part I did not have time to do yet. As I mention on the document, they do suggest that in the early cars there were actually three positions as a couple of mentioned; off, high and low (plus maybe other side things). Others interpretations are welcome.
Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 10:47 PM by Yellowhawk Valley.

Attachments:
Spitfire Column Light Switch Variations.pdf    256.4 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links