Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

regnaston Dale Sanger
Belle River, ON, Canada   CAN
1965 Triumph Spitfire "Frankenspit"
So the 65 Spitfire (Spit6) seems to have a column mounted dimmer switch. The wires however are not hooked up. When I look on the web for "Spitfire Column dimmer Switch" all the switches that look like the one in mine have 4 wires. Mine (at the end after it is run down the column) seems to have 5 wires. Is the 5th wire for the horn or something?

The picture of the switch is found on the web.. the picture of the wires are mine

(edit found another picture on the web with one that has 5 wires.. so my question in the 2nd post still stands)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-15 09:12 PM by regnaston.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20171115_1537470.jpg    26.6 KB
IMG_20171115_1537470.jpg

$_57.jpg    36.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
regnaston Dale Sanger
Second question..

Where would I hook up these wires, since most of the original wiring has been gutted

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Difficult to see the true colours in your picture. I seems likely one is black which would be a ground wire, that you may or may not need to hook up.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Tony, from left to right in Dale's pic the colors are brown, brown/red, blue/red, a red wire with a tracer color??, and the blue/white.

'S all for now
Vic

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, WI, USA   USA
There were 2 different switches. One w/ 2 positions High & Low beam, other has 3 positions. Parking Lights, High Beam, Low Beam. My '72 has had an older 3 position installed.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1498119 by Falkon There were 2 different switches. One w/ 2 positions High & Low beam, other has 3 positions. Parking Lights, High Beam, Low Beam. My '72 has had an older 3 position installed.
Al,
There are at least three switches. The third one has three positions:Off, Parking Lights, Headlights, with the High/Low beam function on a floor dimmer switch. With that one the dash "master light switch" only runs the instrument lights.
AFAIK they all have the "Flash to pass" function also. That is fed by the brown wire usually.
All the best,
Paul

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498093 by regnaston So the 65 Spitfire (Spit6) seems to have a column mounted dimmer switch. The wires however are not hooked up. When I look on the web for "Spitfire Column dimmer Switch" all the switches that look like the one in mine have 4 wires. Mine (at the end after it is run down the column) seems to have 5 wires. Is the 5th wire for the horn or something?

The picture of the switch is found on the web.. the picture of the wires are mine

Is there a part number on your switch? A five-digit number such as 34527?

In reply to # 1498093 by regnaston (edit found another picture on the web with one that has 5 wires.. so my question in the 2nd post still stands)
That might depend on how original the rest of your wiring is. Here's a link to the North American-spec. Spitfire Mk2 wiring diagram. Note that it doesn't show a fifth wire; in this instance, if there is a flash-to-pass feature, I think it's the smaller blue with white wire that handles that.

I would note that the picture you found on the web appears to be for a later (Mk3 and beyond) car inasmuch as the stalk is shorter (as the steering wheel went from 16" to 15" starting with the Mk3).

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 10:26 PM by Herald948.

regnaston Dale Sanger
here is a picture of the switch

and I get an error 404 when trying to go to that wiring diagram link

Attachments:
IMG_20171116_1558120.jpg    29 KB
IMG_20171116_1558120.jpg

TinDrum Herald Ma
cologne, NRW, Germany   DEU
Lucas 102SA 34629B - Spitfire 4 - Switch, Lighting, N.A.D.A

Herald

67umph W Ward
Anc, AK, USA   USA
Yep dead link on the early wiring diagram. You will have to find a early wiring diagram, or replace the harness, believe me its a good deal at twice the price, the harnesses in most cases are full of corrosion (which allows resistance to build up and create heat problems. If you disassemble the switch you will see the issue was heat and burnt the contact out. if your replacing parts of the harness, stick with factory color codes on replacement wiring. But consider that the diameter of the wiring was originally to small for rated loads (full load was run trough the switches with no replays and minimal protection, and after 52 years the insulation is very flaky was well. Last thing you want is fire while the car is unattended or your driving it-disconnect the neutral (-) wire before performing any work.

regnaston Dale Sanger
In reply to # 1498263 by 67umph Yep dead link on the early wiring diagram. You will have to find a early wiring diagram, or replace the harness, believe me its a good deal at twice the price, the harnesses in most cases are full of corrosion (which allows resistance to build up and create heat problems. If you disassemble the switch you will see the issue was heat and burnt the contact out. if your replacing parts of the harness, stick with factory color codes on replacement wiring. But consider that the diameter of the wiring was originally to small for rated loads (full load was run trough the switches with no replays and minimal protection, and after 52 years the insulation is very flaky was well. Last thing you want is fire while the car is unattended or your driving it-disconnect the neutral (-) wire before performing any work.

Just the harness (which on mine isnt really much of it left) or install modern fuses?

67umph W Ward
Anc, AK, USA   USA
Dale,

First i would grab a Laker and Poutine and contemplate that, replacing the harness is going to make your car safer and more reliable. Its a bit more work to replace the harness, if you have a rust free mechanically sound car its worth it. I assume you bought to enjoy, so you have a nice winter project, to pass the time in the dark of winter.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
This is Andrews 65 diagram.
You will see on the column switch:
NU (brown/blue) wire is hot all the time from the control box - no fuse.
NB (brown/black) from the fuse for power all the time.
RG (red/green) leads power to the dash switch for the dash lights.
U (blue) from column switch to floor dimmer

No flash to pass option as the only connection for the headlights is through the floor dimmer. Perhaps more cleaning on the wires will tell for sure their colors - unless you are already sure.

Dan

Attachments:
1965-66 Mk2USwiringAndyMace.pdf    302.1 KB

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Thanks, Dan! Funny, the link works for me! winking smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Andy,
If I click the link as it shows in the post I also get the 404 error. But if I right click it and then click inspect element, I can copy the web address and paste it into my browser. When I do that I get the diagram. Try editing the post to have the web address show instead of "here is a link..."
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph TR8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links