Delco Distributer Buy or Rebuild

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

zerozeroniner Avatar
North Carolina, USA   USA
I want to refresh/rebuild the Delco that came with my 72 GT6. That one has about 125k miles.
I have the same model from a very low milage parts car, less than 17K miles.

A new reproduction Delco form Spit Bits is $200.
A rebuild is $200 plus parts.

I'm not looking to go electronic, and I'd like to stay with what came on the car (vs. a beer performing Lucas)

Any thought on a path forward?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
What problems are you having with the units you have? Why are you looking at rebuilts or aftermarket?
The low milage distributor seems ideal.

If you have shaft wobble, new bushings are not difficult to replace. Just switching in an ignition kit like petronix will deal with most other problems.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Oil the spare unit, refresh the points and condenser and go for it. I've swapped to Lucas more for parts commonality than anything. Kyle.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
How do you feel about doing the rebuild yourself?

And a writeup? grinning smiley

zerozeroniner Avatar
North Carolina, USA   USA
I don't know about doing it myself. Certainly I can do the bits and pieces, points, condenser, cap, etc. I can clean and oil, even replace the springs, if needed.
I have no clue about the weights and checking the "curve".

I think cleaning it up, checking for wobble and flat and then seeing how it runs is the best strategy for now.

This is my first rodeo, sometimes I just assume that to do it right means someone else, with experience does it, but thats no fun :-)

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498280 by zerozeroniner I don't know about doing it myself. Certainly I can do the bits and pieces, points, condenser, cap, etc. I can clean and oil, even replace the springs, if needed.

I think cleaning it up, checking for wobble and flat and then seeing how it runs is the best strategy for now.

This is my first rodeo, sometimes I just assume that to do it right means someone else, with experience does it, but thats no fun :-)

That's the spirit!

Hang out with enough people too broke to afford someone else to do it and you'll be surprised what you'll learn.

dplass Avatar
dplass Silver Member David P
Merrick, New York, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "The Beast"
2011 Ford Fusion
Too bad you're so far away -- I'm in the midst of rebuilding my (GT6) distributor and we could have compared notes...

In reply to # 1498280 by zerozeroniner I don't know about doing it myself. Certainly I can do the bits and pieces, points, condenser, cap, etc. I can clean and oil, even replace the springs, if needed.

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster