Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Just got done cutting the Energy Suspension black hard rubber bushings to fit the rear trunnion.
Not a job for the faint of heart.
Had to drill out the center to .540 to get the sleeve in. Ever tried to drill rubber? Had to hammer it in a 13/16 wrench and go very slow, it did get enough for me to get the sleeve in. This stuff does not sand, so a very slow process of rasping it to size. Had to remove from .871 down to .750 then cut about a 1/8 inch off the inside length from both to get to 2 inches. I did my grinding with the sleeve inside and tired to give it a extra little bit to compress into the upright. Took 2 hours, but the second one only 1/2 hour. Will do the other side later.
I do like the way the impregnated graphite is all in it. This is rubber and has some give, so might work better.
The large rubber washer that is built into each end will help keep water out as good as the original system, if not better. Neither system will keep it from coming in behind the bolt head or nut, so will give it lots of silicone.
The odds on it being worth the effort, time will tell. I will keep the ones I take out for sure.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Place rubber into the freezer, makes it easier to machine.
When it warms up, freeze it again.
A lathe really helps a lot.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Carter, I need to put you on speed dial.
Thanks.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, Texas, USA   USA
And dish soap works wonders for fitting in the rubber bushes

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links