Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

christrish Avatar
christrish Chris B
Lehi, Utah, USA   USA
Finished applying rubberized undercoating to the bottom of the tub. Plan on using DynaMat or similar under the carpet.

Any advantage to applying rubberized undercoating to INSIDE the tub? Wonder if the Dynamat-type soundproofing would have difficulty adhering?

Feedback/experience appreciated.

Working to take the "D" out of DPO since 2013
Follow my restoration progress: http://73spitfire1500.blogspot.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3160.jpg    36.9 KB
IMG_3160.jpg

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
chris,
Your suspicions are well founded. Rubberized undercoat is difficult to get other products to adhere to. Lots of solvents will soften the undercoat. A mix of rubberized undercoat and, for example, contact adhesive isn't much good as contact adhesive.
All the best,
Paul

Jim Guillaume Avatar
Jim Guillaume James Guillaume
Farmington, Maine, USA   USA
I wouldn’t rubberized inside. I think for the money a properly prepared prime/ paint will last much longer and provide excellent protection. Rubberized stays kind of soft, particularly in hot areas like the floor near the exhaust etc. Fluid film in the doors and protected cavities would be beneficial.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Rubberised undercoat used to be used to cover nasty bodges on rusty panels. Used car salesmen loved the stuff!

Regular rust paint protects, but does not hide.

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
Truck bed liner inside is really good . Rust and damage control thats good enough for the truck bed is wonderful , imho .

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
A good epoxy primer and paint will do fine under the matting. I treated some areas of the inside of mine with rust converter spray (just in case) and followed with epoxy primer and then paint. This will ensure that when you put the matting/soundproofing in, any minute pockets of moisture that may collect will not start rusting.

I know a lot of folks love to do the whole inside with the dynamat type of matting but I would leave the areas such as along the rocker panel stiffener or other open to allow any moisture to wick out - an extra measure of insurance.

I was more concerned with the footwell area and the driveshaft tunnel for heat abatement, however, I did put some under the seat area and across the healboard to deaden some road sound.

Good luck Chris, you are doing a great job with your project.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Did you have a lot left over?

Don't forget the inner wheel wells on the hood.

christrish Avatar
christrish Chris B
Lehi, Utah, USA   USA
Thanks for everyone's input. Since I have the access to the entire inside of the tub (currently in etching primer), I'm going to go with primer/paint and follow with DynaMat or similar. I don't think the sound deadening from rubberized coating on the inside will make much difference compared with what I'll get from the DynaMat. Good point Doug to leave a few areas open so it can "breathe" if it gets wet. I've tried my best not to cover any drain holes so far along the tub.

As for the gallon of coating, I have about 1/3 gallon left after brushing it on the underside of the tub (3-4 coats). Should be plenty left to do the inner wheel wells on the bonnet. I've seen some people do the under-hood inside of the bonnet, but I think it would trap too much heat so I'll stick with primer/paint there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-15 09:33 AM by christrish.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
You are better off applying a reflective insulation under the hood from the radiator to the rear deck to prevent damage to the paint on the hood. I've seen lots of Spitfires with blisters over the EGR.

christrish Avatar
christrish Chris B
Lehi, Utah, USA   USA
Interesting about the underside of the bonnet. I'll start another thread when I get to that point to see what others have done and what works well. Thanks Doug.

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Truck bed liner works great

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

Attachments:
038.JPG    49.1 KB
038.JPG

040.JPG    48.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
77 Spit (21).JPG    61.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Does it have an adhesive quality when tacky so you can press on insulation?

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
In reply to # 1498041 by christrish Interesting about the underside of the bonnet. I'll start another thread when I get to that point to see what others have done and what works well. Thanks Doug.

When I had had my car painted about 23 years ago, I too became concerned about heat on the hood.

I added a layer of Hot water tank insulation to the underside area above the engine. This is the stuff that looks like Silver bubble wrap. Very light weight.

I put it on with contact adhesive, it made a dramatic improvment and still looks and works well all these years later.

Sorry no pics, and the car is now tucked away.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Anything like this?

Attachments:
IMG_0014.JPG    54.7 KB
IMG_0014.JPG

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
In reply to # 1498098 by Doug in Vegas Anything like this?

thumbs up

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster