GT6 suspension

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

johnresto John Addy
Tauranga, Bay Of Plenty, New Zealand   NZL
I have a problem! I acquired some time ago a GT6 Mk3 which has been heavily modified. It has a 2.5 PI engine, Toyota Celica 5 speed gearbox and a Subaru rear differential. The rear suspension has also been modified by replacing the transverse spring with upper wishbones and coil over shocks. However, here in New Zealand the Authorities are not too happy with the suspension and it seems I may have to revert to the original spec. My question is since GT6 spares are rare here,is the Spitfire rear end the same as the GT6? I would have to get hold of the diff, axles and spring etc. Any help much appreciated. Cheers John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Yes they are, generally. WIth as much modification as has been done it should not be any different work regardless of which was used. The diff is the same except for the ratio. The axles for the Mk3 are the same. There be a size difference with the rear drums but not sure there.
Look at a parts book to see what all parts you are going to need.
Dan

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
If you are going to use the late GT6 axle, be aware the brake hub is wider and the backing plate sets a little further back than the Spitfire. The hub is different with a one year only braking system. The trailing arms have a larger rubber bushing in one end.
Sooooo, not a simple conversion and these parts are very difficult to find.
A beefed up Spitfire rear suspension system should work. One thing for sure is the adjustable trailing arm, much more solid on the bracket offf the rear body panel. I'm looking a moving that bracket to the frame, but what seems like a simple adjustment, is not always going to work for the best. Better to maybe run a eighth inch by 1 inch bracket from the inside across the floor to the front crossover in front of the seat.
I do a lot of thinking setting in the cold by the heater instead of working. LOL
Not much has not been done with these little cars.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rustbuckit2011 Frank Zappa
auckland, auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Hi John-
Have you taken it for a WOF and been failed because of the rear modifications, or are you just expecting to be failed?

Not that I am suggesting ,err, -bending- the rules, but I have had a subaru diff fitted in my car for the last 10 years and its never been an issue. -I dont mention the mod- they dont recognise the difference from standard.
Gt6s particularly are scarce here- I would say your local mechanic may have seen one in passing once- probably never worked on it though.
The shocks and wishbones may ring some alarm bells I guess if they are expecting to see a leaf spring!

I may be able to help with contacts on the standard parts if you want to convert back- otherwise I have a couple of subaru conversions spare which uses the leaf spring and bolt on axles -the whole kit. It looks quite standard to the untrained eye- alas, it's not that cheap- but then neither will a 3.89 gt6/vitesse diff be if you can get your hands on one!
Message me if you like- I am in Auckland

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
Since some of the Mk3 GT6's were equipped with rotoflex rear suspension and you did not specify whether your car had that, I would be interested in knowing. It would make a huge difference in what you are trying to recover.

Cheers,
Joe

johnresto John Addy
Unfortunately the rego is long dead and the Certifier is none too happy with the mods and wants the LVVTA to approve which is unlikely without a pile of paperwork - all of which I find too hard. Consequently I thought I might revert to the original or at least put back the spring and shocks. I'd be interested to chat to you. 07 5785403. Cheers John

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, Kentucky, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR3B
1968 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cali"
1972 TVR Vixen
In reply to # 1497754 by johnresto I have a problem! I acquired some time ago a GT6 Mk3 which has been heavily modified. It has a 2.5 PI engine, Toyota Celica 5 speed gearbox and a Subaru rear differential. The rear suspension has also been modified by replacing the transverse spring with upper wishbones and coil over shocks. However, here in New Zealand the Authorities are not too happy with the suspension and it seems I may have to revert to the original spec. My question is since GT6 spares are rare here,is the Spitfire rear end the same as the GT6? I would have to get hold of the diff, axles and spring etc. Any help much appreciated. Cheers John

John,

Maybe these guys would have the parts you need?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-GT6-BODY-FRAME-CHASSIS/202004212536?hash=item2f0863ab38:m:mdTScOcmDaef5xTruYZyJAQ&vxp=mtr

Cheers
Joe Otero

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, Kentucky, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR3B
1968 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cali"
1972 TVR Vixen
In reply to # 1497862 by JoeOtero
In reply to # 1497754 by johnresto I have a problem! I acquired some time ago a GT6 Mk3 which has been heavily modified. It has a 2.5 PI engine, Toyota Celica 5 speed gearbox and a Subaru rear differential. The rear suspension has also been modified by replacing the transverse spring with upper wishbones and coil over shocks. However, here in New Zealand the Authorities are not too happy with the suspension and it seems I may have to revert to the original spec. My question is since GT6 spares are rare here,is the Spitfire rear end the same as the GT6? I would have to get hold of the diff, axles and spring etc. Any help much appreciated. Cheers John

John,

Maybe these guys would have the parts you need?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-GT6-BODY-FRAME-CHASSIS/202004212536?hash=item2f0863ab38:m:mdTScOcmDaef5xTruYZyJAQ&vxp=mtr

Cheers
Joe Otero

Possibility? - https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1969-triumph-gt6-parts-car/6353417669.html

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
Joe,

Part of the problem is the OP live in OZ and sourcing parts from the other side of the globe gets pricey between shipping and import duties.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497853 by johnresto Unfortunately the rego is long dead and the Certifier is none too happy with the mods and wants the LVVTA to approve which is unlikely without a pile of paperwork - all of which I find too hard. Consequently I thought I might revert to the original or at least put back the spring and shocks. I'd be interested to chat to you. 07 5785403. Cheers John

Joe's point was that there are two DIFFERENT rear suspension setups for your car.
In order to revert, you must FIRST know which one it had, to get the proper parts.
Assuming that there is a commission number, we can use it to help you look up which.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 04:20 PM by clshore.

johnresto John Addy
Sorry to all you out there. My GT6 is a 1972 Mk3 non-rotaflex, but makes no difference as I have a Subaru diff and shortened Subaru drive shafts.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497894 by johnresto Sorry to all you out there. My GT6 is a 1972 Mk3 non-rotaflex, but makes no difference as I have a Subaru diff and shortened Subaru drive shafts.

Does your Subaru diff employ the adaptors that allow it to bolt up to the stock frame mounts?
There is a bolt on adaptor that enables you to simply refit the stock transverse spring, shocks, and radius rods.

That restores the stock suspension, which may perhaps remove the structural safety concerns of the inspector.
Would allow you to retain the Subie diff & CV axles, which are primarily driveline durability upgrades.

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497894 by johnresto Sorry to all you out there. My GT6 is a 1972 Mk3 non-rotaflex, but makes no difference as I have a Subaru diff and shortened Subaru drive shafts.

If the frame has not been modified to accommodate the Suburu diff, it should be simple to retrofit a Spit or GT6 diff and the appropriate spring and axles.

You can even go with an earlier fixed spring (as opposed to the swing-spring) and add a camber compensator.

Joe

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
Agreed. To give you better recommendations, we need a better idea of exactly what you have. My "guess" is the R160 conversion is the bolt-in type since that kit came from AU/N-Z.

A '72 car "should" be a rotoflex car (before the R160 conversion). The '73 was the year they went back to the Spitfire suspension. Does the car have lower control arms?

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

motov8 rick maroni
san diego, USA   USA
Your description of your rear suspension is unclear. If you have non-rotoflex with Subaru axles/drive shafts ,how is the lower suspension attached to the frame? By a wishbone/a-arm? May be you do have rotoflex components, a least a rotoflex upright..Maybe reverting to the transverse spring and shock would be sufficient. The Subaru diff. has been installed in transverse spring cars successfully . Rear diff. housings to mount the Subaru/Nissan diff. straight into the Spit chassis were produced in NZ for a while so possible your car is so equipped.The inspectors issue is probably with the suspension design. Pictures answer many questions

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links