74 spit will not start

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
My '74 spit will not start...last started 2 months ago...as they say ran when parked....I hooked up my spare electric pump and pumped out all the old fuel including pulling the plug at the bottom of the stromburg float chamber and running new fuel thru there.....I have used starter fluid...I have pulled 2 spark plugs and put fuel directly into cylinders.....
It does fire....seems like on 1 cylinder ....it has a pertronics with flame thrower coil with one spade connector from car that is getting 12 volts when cranking and when key is on.....the coil has one red and one black to the distributor.....
it is back firing lightly at times....so next I was going to check the firing order.....checking the firing order has always been confusing to me....

So need help with firing order...............

Also seems to start when I let up on the starter....but I checked the voltage and had 12.5 with key on and 11.5 while cranking....also hooked up a jumper wire from positive batery terminal to the plus on the coi........

Have new battery and good battery charger with start mode.....

just can not figure this out

Mitch

l

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Firing order is 1-3-4-2 typically #1 is at about 7 o clock when looking at the distributor cap.

If you remove a HT cable from the centre of the distributor, how far can the spark be made to jump to ground when you crank the engine?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-13 07:16 PM by Tonyfixit.

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
I checked the firing order and it is correct.....I found a good black and white image doing a google search.....

will check spark jump next....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Something like this?
What did you change while it was sitting? If nothing was changed then nothing should need adjusted or moved other than to make up for crapped out gas or critters that have invaded somewhere.
Dan

Attachments:
Spit dizzy1.jpg    48.3 KB
Spit dizzy1.jpg

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497744 by Mister Mitch last started 2 months ago...as they say ran when parked....
Have you or anyone done anything to it over those 3 months ?

In reply to # 1497744 by Mister Mitch .checking the firing order has always been confusing to me....
If it ran fine and no one messed with the spark plug wires then the wires are on fine .

In reply to # 1497744 by Mister Mitch So need help with firing order...............
Do you have any starter fluid ?

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I've seen cases where cleaning the connections on the negative cable from the battery cures what you describe.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Also, pull the plugs and see if they're wet after cranking.

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
RESOLVED................

Somehow the distributor got turned so the timing was way off....

it runs great..........

Now I need to set the timing

Thanks for all the help

Mitch

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster