install radio brace

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

vnunnally Van Nunnally
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
have 1972 triumph spitfire , replacing with new carpet and put carpet over trans tunnel , it seems when i try to put radio bracket over its a very hard fit , and when i push it hard the leather pouch over my shifter looks like it is beginning to rip . and there is what looks like a piece of hard plastic maybe its called a trim at the bottom of entire dash and i am starting to hit that . should i remove that as i dont want to break that to and if i do remove it how do i do that ?? thanks Van

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, Texas, USA   USA
I've said that piece was probably the first part on the assembly line. I fit the top of the brace in place first then pushed the lower legs into position. Look up under the dash to see where it fits first because there's an edge it need to go behind.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Do you have a plastic trans cover? The lip may have to be trimmed.

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
It seems that one of the tricks is getting it in from the right direction. I think that was fitting the top in the trans cover so it is behind the dash then rotating the top forward and upward as you also press the feet down and back. Sort of rotating the whole thing. It will be a tight fit but that is how it goes.
Dan

vnunnally Van Nunnally
have original one

cbez Cole B
Fallbrook, California, USA   USA
Yeah this part sucked. When I twisted it into place the vinyl cover on the 'feet' started to come off. Luckily they're mostly covered

1971 Triumph Spitfire MK 4

SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, Texas, USA   USA
Is the new carpet cut for the feet or bolt holes?

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, Connecticut, USA   USA
If it's anything like a late 1979 you will almost certainly need to cut the plastic gearbox cover because it is considerably wider than the original one.

You also need to cut the carpet and make sure it is nowhere near the set screws that retain the support. You don't want pieces of the carpet getting caught in the fine threads of the screws.

I removed carpet and gearbox cover, fitted the support in place and marked on the floor exactly where the "feet" of the support came and then used that as a guide to cut the cover and the carpet. I can't say it was the neatest job I ever did but it did the job of getting the support reinstalled, which tightens up the dash considerably, so well worth doing.

Unless you like the idea of a Spitfire being 1,858 parts all travelling in convoy.

N5329K Avatar
N5329K Silver Member Robin White
Pacific Grove, CA, USA   USA
On my 78 (with the ABS gearbox cover) the H bracket radio brace went in just fine without any cutting. It wasn't fun getting the braces bolted in under the dash, but the trick (on my car) was to tilt the H bracket forward, place the top where it needed to be, then push the bottom into place and over the holes. The holes can be hard to find...I stuffed bright orange foam ear plugs into the holes before setting the H bracket. That made the holes a little easier to rediscover.
My carpet is not very thick. I wonder if your carpet is plusher, making the bracket harder to slide into place?
Robin

vnunnally Van Nunnally
its not cut 4 anything yet

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
I recall pushing the base to the front of the car a little bit, then prying out the top towards me. The original cover "bent" in enough for this to work. Top goes behind, "under" the trim piece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-13 05:45 PM by Falkon.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
You guys are making this hard. Get a bottle jack and stick a short 2x4 under the dash and jack it up slightly.
Don't go overboard, but the front of the dash moves very easily.
Make sure the brackets holding the steering column are loose, the one on the left is the one that needs to be undone as the one on the lright goes into the top bolt of the support frame. .

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Mines been out of the car a few years now, and now when I tried to fit it, it too seemed a tad too long also. I guess there is some settling that occurs in that area. Not much, maybe a 1/4 inch. Reckon I'll be reinstalling the fixture.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

vnunnally Van Nunnally
Yes mine seems too long now interesting

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
This might sound silly, but how did you remove it. Reverse the process.

Attachments:
crowbar-hi.jpg    14.2 KB
crowbar-hi.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster