AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tedriley Avatar
tedriley Ted Riley
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA   USA
Greetings all
I am in the process of a complete rebuild on a 1500. I was looking for input on different things I could do when I reassemble the engine to enhance the performance. I’m not planning on racing the car just want a good strong engine. Any suggestions?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497589 by tedriley Greetings all
I am in the process of a complete rebuild on a 1500. I was looking for input on different things I could do when I reassemble the engine to enhance the performance. I’m not planning on racing the car just want a good strong engine. Any suggestions?

Get the crank spin balanced and make sure your pistons and connecting rods weigh the same.

racer490 Jerry Bryant
Palm Harbor, USA   USA
Use flat top pistons and shave the head.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
ARP head studs.

'S all for now
Vic

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA   USA
Ted, need more info besides a 1500, possibly 77 or 78, what carburator/s do you have now, head number "TKC1410" or ?
transmission, overdrive, wheels. ???

2manyspits Avatar
2manyspits Thomas Schlundt
south bend, IN, USA   USA
JUNK THE 1500 AND GET A 1296 SMALL CRANK

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497607 by 2manyspits JUNK THE 1500 AND GET A 1296 SMALL CRANK

Can the large journal crankshaft be machined down to fit the small journal rods?

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
That crank would still weigh about 20 lbs more.

But the 1500 can still be a nice engine, especally for a road car.

My personal feelings, for a road car are:

Magnaflux and balance the crank along with front pully, flywheel and clutch .

Flat top pistons*, read and consider head porting according to Kas Kastner's book, match head ports to manifolds,
clean up (but do not polish) inlet ports with attention to inside radius. Change carb to a multi carb set up or fuel injection, 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, at least EI ingnition (or programmable crank fired ignition), 270 or similar cam.

Most important: Pay attention to details on assembly! Check items against specs. Do NOT assume, check valve rocker geometry, check oil pump specs, check valve springs for tension, check cam timing based on TRUE TDC measurements.

Many moving recipricating parts may be judiciously smoothed and lightened.

Consider compression ratio! Do you want an engine that MUST get premium gas? if you go over 9.5-1 that is likely to be the case. 9 to 9.5-1 gives you a margin if you are out of town.

There is much more, but you get the idea.

* I do not use one piece oil control rings

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
Raise compression to maybe 9.5 and put a mild street cam in it like the one TSI sells along with cam bearings. Get the benefit out of the cam with dual su4s and the European exhaust. Get your distributer recurved to match. And as mentioned have it balanced. That will get you a good boost for the money.

laverda1200 Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
Hi Ted

enormous wealth of information on this forum generally, this topic has been explored many times, worth spending some time searching here.

here are a few recent suggestions http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1493337,1494251#msg-1494251

basically, use good gaskets, increase the compression, use a better cam and time it properly, better timing chain assembly, better intake and carbs, better exhaust, better valve train (new rocker shaft and bushed rocker arms, new pushrods and lifters), rebuild or replace your distributor and get rid of the vacuum retard function, better alternator, have the rotating assembly balanced by a good machine shop, etc., etc.

best bang for the buck for engine longevity are the solid thrust washers mentioned in the link above.

Paul LeClair

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497603 by carChips ARP head studs.

Which you will discover are too short unless you mill a ton off the head.

tedriley Avatar
tedriley Ted Riley
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497607 by 2manyspits JUNK THE 1500 AND GET A 1296 SMALL CRANK
Do you have one for sale?

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
A tip I share on a build is to attach the manifolds to the head on the bench and treat the whole assembly as a single unit to go on the block.

Sure makes those pesky bottom bolts a breeze.

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
In reply to # 1497603 by carChips ARP head studs.
Iv'e seen ARP mentioned a few times.
What is it?

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

teeka56 Avatar
teeka56 mike leisner
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
High strength, high quality fasteners for critical applications.

http://www.arp-bolts.com

Mike

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster